Tips for hanging a door?

I pretty much avoid DIY whenever possible, as I usually find new and interesting ways to get it wrong :-p

I have an outside door which is basically access to an outside cupboard space, we call it a 'coal hole', as it was designed to hold coal, obviously!

The door was attached with two large metal brackets on the outside of the door. These have recently sheered away and I need to replace them. The replacement brackets will likely be of a slightly different size.

So I know I have to remove the existing brackets and fit the new ones, but what do I need to know beyond that? What order do I need to do things to make sure the door aligns properly etc? I know if I just put the brackets on where the other ones where it's probably not going to align with the locks.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

===================== Do you mean these?:

so you can buy the same size as your existing hinges at Focus, B&Q etc. but they'll cost much more than Screwfix's prices. Just replace old with new in the same places.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

|I pretty much avoid DIY whenever possible, as I usually find new and |interesting ways to get it wrong :-p | |I have an outside door which is basically access to an outside cupboard |space, we call it a 'coal hole', as it was designed to hold coal, obviously! | |The door was attached with two large metal brackets on the outside of the |door. These have recently sheered away and I need to replace them. The |replacement brackets will likely be of a slightly different size. | |So I know I have to remove the existing brackets and fit the new ones, but |what do I need to know beyond that? What order do I need to do things to |make sure the door aligns properly etc? I know if I just put the brackets on |where the other ones where it's probably not going to align with the locks.

I assume that the ?brackets? are fitted wholly on the outside of the door which is accessible from the outside.

Pack the door into position where you need it, with blocks of spare wood etc. Check that it swings and locks OK. Fit the new brackets in place. Remove the old brackets.

Think about making it more secure, by filling a 5 lever deadlock, with the proper stronger striking plate which you get with the lock. Think about stopping someone removing the brackets from the outside.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I did buy them from screwfix. But the hinges are very old and the chances of them matching exactly are slim.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt