Tip: Using non-supported PCL5/6 printers in Vista, found universal drivers!

(following commentry recorded here "for the google tape, m'lud")

I have been un-enjoying myself fiddling about with HP's Universal Print Driver (HPUPD) suite trying to make that {expletive deleted} work with our Panasonic KX-P7510 laser printer and Windows Vista.

That printer is the network version of the KX-P7500 that Panasonic had kindly abandoned for both, the development of drivers for XP and onwards. Though their ancient kernel-mode NT4.0 PCL6 type drivers do work in XP, Vista has built-in security paranoia and refuses their installation. I've got to find other drivers :-(

Of course, trying HP's UPD in the hope of some PCL support throws a fit along the lines of,

" the selected printer xxxx is not a supported HP device "

And then it's game over for that approach ...

( BTW Uninstall those {expletive deleted} HPUPD drivers by heading for the Vista "Printers" window and removing from 'File->Server Properties' (hit first if you've got the window menu hidden) )

So, now the answer - a great one if ye are stuck with a similar printer problem left high and dry by Vista and your now least favourite printer manufacturer.

Xerox Global Print Driver

's free of charge, and (it sez) "Truly universal: supports Xerox and non-Xerox printers, PCL and PostScript" which is a lot more than can be said for HPUPD. Their drivers also support Vista 64, and there is an advanced "mobile express driver" if ye are mobile yeself.

I did find a little niggle with this printer driver requiring printing to initially download truetype fonts as softfont bitmaps, instead of using the in-built 'device fonts' but at least it's workable and I can print. :-)

I will now leave the stage quickly exiting left so that rotten fruit and vegetables can be pitched to the usual effect. Back to the original programme ...

Reply to
Adrian C

Always worth knowing about, thanks :-)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Cheers

ss.

Reply to
Synapse Syndrome

Used it myself on a couple of oddball printers.

Reply to
Conor