TIP: source for cheap wall-wart power supplies

In case anyone wants some cheap power suppleis for their DIY electronics projects.

is currently flogging off a Nokia charger, number ACP-7X for £0.99. Yup, less than a quid.

I bought a few the other day, and (as you do) took one apart. Inside it's a small transformer and 4 diodes arranged as a bridge rectifier - no smoothing capacitor so you'll have to provide your own. The no-load )smoothed) output on mine was

12.9V, dropping to 7.8V at 166mA - so quite handy for a 100 mA regulated at 5V. After fiddling about with the charger I just ordered a few more. Finally, possibly the best bit: they're sent with free P&P
Reply to
pete

Thanks for that, just purchased four off . Cheers Don

Reply to
Donwill

Advertised as containing :-

  • Built in Intelligent IC chip will prevent this charger from over heating or overcharging the battery * IC chip will recognize a fully charged battery and automatically switches to a saver mode

Is this 'IC chip' a fuse?

Reply to
Adrian C

Still more expensive than the (admittedly low power) wallwart courtesy of Peter Parry and British Gas. :-)

Comes with quite a nice extension lead as well.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yes, a thermal fuse (small disc placed in close contact with the transformer)

Reply to
pete

wallwarts are binned in vast numbers

NT