Tip for Bosch PMF Multi Tool

In the 60s I often had to work where there was no power . I used a hammer and star drill for cutting holes in brickwork and concrete. A hand drill for small holes in metal and wood. A set of Scotch auger bits for big holes in wood and a ratchet and pulse drill for big holes in metal plate. Only ever used the latter once and would prefer to die before it happened again. :(

If the platform was made of wood then an auger bit would have been adequate to make bolt holes. I used them to make up to inch and a half holes in 8 inch baulks.

Reply to
Alang

A cordless drill ain't much use on a building site without power to recharge its batteries.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The reason 14 people died was that "the designers and builders of the platform did not have appropriate qualifications for the job".

Reply to
Bruce

That was certainly the main reason. Bolts were supplied, and may have held the platform OK, but they they had nothing to drill the holes with so they used nails instead. My father always used to say "don't rely on nails to hold things up".

The students were shaking the platform, "just fooling round". "It was shaking a lot. We were giving it a good nudge. But we felt safe doing it.

Reply to
Matty F