Tiny spring needed

Any suggestions where I can obtain a tiny compression spring cheaply? It needs to be between 3-3.4mm diameter, the length is not hugely important as I could cut it down to size.

I see RS do such things but postage makes it impractical without ordering other items. Would a model shop sell such a thing?

Maybe someone could suggest an everyday item that could be disassembled and a spring robbed?

TIA

HLAH

A pen spring?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

A plastic clothes peg - I'm forever finding little springs around the place when they break.

Reply to
The Wanderer

That's a torsion spring not a compression spring.

Reply to
VisionSet

The message from "HLAH" contains these words:

Cheap biro.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

Sodding spring-rays!

Reply to
Guy King

Depends on how the peg is made - the plastic ones tend to have compression springs. It's obvious you're not acquainted with pegging the washing out....

:-)

Reply to
The Wanderer

The message from "VisionSet" contains these words:

Many now have compression springs.

Reply to
Guy King

On some, but not others. Particularly plastic clothes pegs...they often have a compression spring just 'behind' the pivot.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Bayonet bulb holder?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Aka pen,biro's don't have a spring.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

You'll definately find one you're after in a scrap video recorder. ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

In message , HLAH wrote

Battery compartment of anything that takes a AAA or AA size battery ?

Reply to
Alan

I wind mine. Once you have the wire its pretty easy. Put a drill in a cordless screwdriver about 80% of the final spring size, bend the wire over and jam it between the chuck jaws, and wind away.

Ultra small wire is guitar strings, and for the rest the model shop generally has something from about 0.5mm (20 thou)upwards.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They are not common these days, but there *are* (or have been) retractable Biros.

Reply to
Bob Eager

At the moment I'm very aquainted with it, alas. But I've only got upmarket wooden ones.

Reply to
VisionSet

Here?

Andy Wade

HLAH was thinking very hard :

The spring from a ball point pen springs to mind - sorry.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The message from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

I wait, with bated breath, for a letter from Biro's legal department requiring me to cease and desist lest I devalue their trademark.

I shall put it in my outhouse, which being a generic portable building I shall not call a Portakabin.

Reply to
Guy King

Cheers everyone for the suggestions.

In the end I managed to use the cassette door return spring from an ancient Clarion car stereo. Funnily enough it's not really a compression spring but spiral wound torsion. Just under 3mm in diameter and perfect for the job once trimmed. The ancient Blaupunkt player I ahem "disassembled" appears to use extension and plastic leaf springs for everything.

HLAH