Tiny house

Just room to swing a cat, by the looks of it.

Grimly Curmudgeon

Thats a shed, not a house.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I have some sympathy with her. We are rather untidy, and I thought that by moving to a larger house the mess would be more under control. It isn't. A version of Parkinson's Law applies, and mess expands to fill the space available. We now have so much crud that it will be a major task to decrudify, and it's really rather daunting. If/when we move somewhere smaller, it will be a great opportunity to just get shot of the lot.

Reply to
GB

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

The garden looks huge, she's just replaced most of her indoor space with outdoor space. Makes sense if you can arrange it, reducing the actual shelter to the minimum for sleeping and storage.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

It's not her garden.

Reply to
Bob Eager

It's not her garden, but it's space she occupies as an adjunct to the physical structure she occupies. What she's got is vary different from the equally-sized Japanese rabbit hutches which are just the exact physical indoor space and nothing else.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

There seems to be several exponents of this grass-roots movement in the US:

it would seem even more appropriate to the UK, where many people struggle to get started with their first home.

If there was a planning dispensation for a primary-home, self-built and below a certain square-footage - that could be potential lifeline for a niche of people trying to get a first home of any kind.

Reply to
Dom Ostrowski

Oh, tell me about it...

I'm also aware that I'm becoming even worse of a hoarder as I get older and more eccentric; really I ought to do something about that while i still have the awareness that it's a failing.

My mother (80s) stills lives in the large house in which she brought up

4 kids, so after 55+ years you can only imagine the stuff she's accumulated. My mind boggles at the thought of having to sort out that lot one day, presumably in the not-too-distant future :(

David

Reply to
Lobster

Superb, brilliant, I could live like trhat if I was on my own.

Reply to
Sn!pe

The text says it's has a earth closet but she has to find somewhere else to shower.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Is there a tiny stream nearby?

Is the sea far away?

Is it in Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer Katzenellen Bogen by the Sea?

Reply to
polygonum

  • + + + + ++ +++++ +++++ + + + + + + +++

You'll still not get rid of a lot of crud though you can make a big dent in it when "downsizing". When we moved my late father from the family home to a smaller place nearer we got shut of a lot of stuff but I still had to make half a dozen trips to the dump with the car (Discovery) packed to the roof and the seats down...

Likewise. I have lot's of stuff that "might be useful" one day and occasionally an item will be and normally alter things from a major inconvience to not a problem. Knowing which "thing" will be that useful thing is the tricky part...

You have my sympathies, it won't be easy. If your parents are anything like mine you will find things from your very early days that you had forgotten about and even if you hadn't would have expected to have been chucked out decades ago. Discovered again now they will be impossible to part with. Stupid little things like your favourite bath toy from when you were three...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You need to sort it:

  1. Stuff with a definite *immediate* use
  2. Stuff that might well be useful one day
  3. Junk

Then throw away 2 and 3. 2 might go to the charity shop.

Reply to
GB

Lobster wrote, in on Sun, 23 Dec 2012 12:44:17 +0000:

I am like your mother. I've lived here 48 years and brought up five kids, now aged 42 to 52. I have no intention of moving so they will have to deal with it one day.

Reply to
Nick Spalding

Ditto. Last year, I moved from a one bedroom flat to a two bedroom house, which now seems fuller than the flat was.

That's easy. It's the thing that you threw away last week.

Reply to
John Williamson

Throw away 3, agonise over 2 - and keep it. Every time I've thrown out something that might cumminhandi and has lurked for years I've needed it within a dozen fortnights, and spent *hours* looking for it because I knew I had one/some.

Reply to
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

When we moved my mother out of a 3 bed semi into a 1 bed flat, we threw away ~100 bin bags of stuff. Plus a lot of furniture.

Then we came home and threw away a lot of stuff from our house.

Reply to
Huge

by the looks of it.

Dog Kennel you mean.