TINK!

My parents were going about their daily (boring) routine when they heard a loud TINK! In the house. They looked around and didn't see anything until water started dripping through the kitchen ceiling.

They rushed upstairs and found that the toilet cistern had split in half!

Hopefully they will replace it with something more appropriate. The existing arrangement is reproduction Victorian or some other shit and makes your ass numb due to it's ornate but useless "acorn" shape. It's also one of those special toilets where you flush it and everything just goes round and round and stays exactly where it was.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

I was in a pub with some friends, sitting round a small table. Suddenly, there was a similar TINK! and the large coloured glass ashtray in the middle of the table parted into two pieces. No one was using it, and it was still completely clean. We completely failed to convince the bar staff it just broke all by itself...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It's amazing what secondhand smoke can do.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Roll on 1st July....

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Amen.

It's very noticable when traveling around in the rest of Europe the positive effect that the ban on smoking in public places has had, especially in restaurants - a real pleasure to go and eat without the disgusting smell of smoke. Even in Spain and Italy, where legislation is more of a policy thing, it is now quite easy to find restaurants with non smoking areas. I'm not as bothered about places like Holland where the cuisine is dubious anyway.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Are you or one of your friends, very ugly?

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

I was in a pub after work and had just been served a pint of cider when the bottom just fell out of the glass! No noise, just suddenly no cider and a glass tube.

Fortunately I was wearing my Electricity board Gore-tex bib trousers and rigger boots so it didn't soak my legs. They promptly poured me a replacement glass of cider.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

If it does that, just think what it must be doing to your insides..... ;-)

Clearly this happens all the time then.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Isn't the usual pub-science explanation for that the barmaids wedding ring scoring a ring in the glass as they're being dried? Given the number of pubs that seem to serve beer in red-hot freshly washed glasses, they all seem to have dishwashers rather than barmaids with dirty aprons now ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

or even some parts of the UK ...

You don't like choco-sprinkles?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You can't beat a good busty barmaids apron for bringing back memories.....

On chocolate spread, that would be.

Reply to
Ian White

I could quote many more studies that come to different conclusions. The problem here is the existance of a massive 'anti smoking industry' who look only at research that supports their claims. They ignore the WHO & American Cancer Societys studies which failed to find any evidence.

You only have to look at the British Govmints figures that '11,000 brits die every year due to passive somking' and the EU's figures that '19,000 Europeans die every year due to passive somking'. Both parties claim their figures are 100% accurate, but neither can name any single individual with 'passive smoking' or 'XYZ caused by passive smoking' on his or her death certificate.

There have been around 8 claims that passive smoking kills more people than actually smoking. No credible evidence however.

If challenged, organisations like

simply ignore questions. Lord Harris of High Cross has challenged Sir Liam Donaldson the Chief Medical Officer and has also ben completely ignored.

What we need to look at is who is earning what from the no smoking issue - the tobacco companies or the huge & powerful pharmacutical multi nationals who produce the patches, gums, whatever.

Indocilis privata loqui :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'd agree 100% Frank. But why can't the rights of smokers also be respected by allowing smoking areas or smoking & non smoking venues? In South Africa for example licensed premises are 70% non smoking & 30% smoking with a glass screen between the two areas.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I have to be honest. No.

It's the only country I can think of where lunch is essentially identical to breakfast.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'm sure they are backing both horses

That must be very painful - if you put them there.

Reply to
Andy Hall

That's ok for the customers, but doesn't protect staff who still have to go into the smokey areas.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Fine, as long as the costs of segregation, air conditioning etc, are paid for _wholly_ by the smokers.

After all, it's *their* habits which are causing the problem in the first place.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In message , Frank Erskine writes

Whiffs of BO and the occasional fart tend to be more noticeable here in Scotland this past year, some you win, some you lose...

Reply to
Kenny

Bit like that other bandwagon that's a-rollin'........

Alan

Reply to
Alan Vann