Tin openers

Hi Tim

Not planning on performing 'Pineapple Surprise' or 'Peaches' are you :-)

I had trouble finding ours, most cans seem to be ring pulls nowadays. Ours is a cheap white plastic jobby marked 'WL Housewares' no idea where it came from but it seems to work OK.

Lakeland do one appropriately called a 'Magician Auto' which has a good write up and a lifetime guarantee for £8:99 - worth a try, most of their stuff 'does what it says on the tin' so to speak.

There's a Lakeland at Bluewater.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I forgot to suggest looking at shops that sell things for disabled / elderly people...

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

This made me think that maybe the manufacture of tinned goods has changed slightly.

I very rarely use canned foods but on the one occasion I did and there wasn't a ring pull (which I have difficulty with) the main problem was finding the tin opener.

When I did neither of us could remember how to use it ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Perhaps I wasn't clear, because it doesn't take off the rim. It cuts

*through* the rim. Slightly less than half of the rim goes with the lid, leaving slightly more than half of it in place on the can. There is therefore no significant loss of rigidity.

I think the one you bought was probably a "lift off" type, which makes a cut below the rim and leaves an unsupported edge. I have a couple of those, but I don't like them because they tend to encourage spilling some of the can's contents through making a cut lower down.

Reply to
Bruce

I've used an electric can opener for about 15 years now, I think it cost around £6.

It's a kenwood, like this one:

you type electric can opener into google and click 'shopping', you will have loads of them starting from about £8.

No effort, hands free, clean edges, magentic lid holder, it's a no-brainer really

Reply to
Phil L

So you can have a sharp can rather than a sharp lid.. no thanks.

If you buy one of the cheap lidl/aldi safety can opener they slice through the actual rim at the top. This leaves a lid without sharp edges and a can without sharp edges.

You can even put the lid back on if you only use half the can and it seals quite well.

Reply to
dennis

It sounds like one sold on QVC, usually with a German bloke guest presenting.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You have the wrong type.. the ones that cut through the rim leave half the rim on the lid and half on the can.

There are a lot of so called safety openers that claim to leave no sharp edges on the lid, but leave them on the can instead. The proper ones don't leave sharp edges on either.

However for someone who is frail you need an electric one.

Reply to
dennis

Maybe ebay item 120170467565

Reply to
dennis

P-38.

Reply to
<johnjoe46

It's on the website now with a video demo. At least i think he's German (they definitely avoided mentioning the war).

House-Ware 4 Piece Complete Kitchen Opener & Pourer Set

Item Number 828233

Introductory Price £16.45

reduced from £18 .

Reply to
Derek Geldard

That isn't the same opener I have - mine looks more like the "lift off" type, but the QVC one cuts in exactly the same place, leaving a still-rigid can with no sharp edges.

The other items are nice too, but the whole lot is quite expensive at £20.40 including P&P. QVC is rarely cheap.

Reply to
Bruce

Do you have anything to contribute to the question to hand? We really aren't interested in your memory problems.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

No *not* really. I have one of those and it leaves sharp edges on the lid, not *that* sharpe, but still requires care with the lid. However, the worst thing about it is that the magnet attachment and the blade are a bugger to clean; loads of nasty crevices. Surely there must be a better make? oh, and this one has a gadget on the back for grinding away your kitchen knives.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

We have and ancient "lift off" type. It cuts the side of the can below the rim but the top edge of the can is sharp. How does this QVC deal with the top edge of the can to leave "no sharp edges"?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

As you say always works but you do have to be careful as fingers are rather close to sharp bits of tin, especially when the lid is nearly off.

In todays nanny state I'm surprised you can still get them as there must be figures showing that 2 people a year get a nasty cut (not requiring stitches) when using one.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yuk, not even rinsed so it goes all manky in the bin?

What? Can't you put the (metal) lid in with the (same metal) tin for recycling? A 2l ice cream tub takes our tins and tin lids, tins a rinsed and flattened before be placed in there.

So have I both from the fold out type of opener and our lift off one. I'm intrigued by this "cut through the rim" type. We sort of need a new tin opener as I said earlier it is ancient (20 years or more old) and the surface of the plastic handles is starting to fail.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

How very interesting.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Sure. Shve it in the landfill bin.

Let nature take care of the yuk, and then when we need the metal, we can mine the landfills.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It cuts through the rim, not the side of the can.

I'm not sure exactly how, but it seems to exploit a line of weakness in the rim which is presumably the joint where the lid is put on when the can has been filled. But I'm only guessing.

There certainly isn't even a trace of a sharp edge left behind, either on the lid or on the rim of the can.

If I hadn't bought one of these can openers and seen how it works, leaving no sharp edges, I think I would have found it very difficult to believe. But it does work exactly as claimed.

(At least mine does. It is slightly different to the QVC version but obviously uses the same principle.)

Reply to
Bruce