Tin opener - silly question

Indeed - they usually are. :-) But when that approach goes wrong, a can opener is very much needed! Not too long ago the tab on the tin where the key is supposed to fit fell off before being used. And one of our old openers worked quite well - and is being retained for that role because of doubts over the Brabantia's abilities.

Reply to
polygonum

Finally got a OXO brand opener from Dunelm as recommended here. £8ish is more than I would have paid if not for numerous 4 or 5 quid jobbies that don't work after 2 weeks It is by far the smoothest and easiest can opener I've ever used. Thanks to all who replied.

Reply to
Simon Cee

No they all seem to slip the canfalls off or they bend trap your fingers etc. I think there is tin can battle going on,every time a new improved can opener comes out the tin makers try to defeat it.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Brian, did your news service or computer throw a wobbly last night? Fairly sure you replied to a load of old threads this one included but it doesn't matter as it allows me to say that the Culinare Magican opener we bought about the time of that thread (6 months ago?) is still going strong and doing a good job.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And as the OP I feel obliged to add that the OXO opener that I got from Dunelm is brill. Positive and precise and slices thru cans like they're made of paper.

Reply to
Simon Cee

And the Brabantia opener we got is also excellent. It has reduced the number of non-ring-pull cans very nearly to zero!

Reply to
polygonum

I had been on the point of recommending the Oxo "Good Grips" openers. They are brilliant. The Co-Op also sell a vet similar opener.

The JML electric opener used to be good but recently manufacturers have changed the design of the seams on some cans and the JML opener cannot cope.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Now well in the past since this thread has been resurrected

I've been using one like the right hand one shown in lot 155 for 30 years - and it was probably 50 years old or more when I got it...

Reply to
docholliday93

Yes indeed. The only problem we have is that after 10 years (or more) of running them through the dishwasher frequently, the rubber handles sometimes come off & have rusty gunge inside. I think that's pretty good quality in the circumstances, & they still work well.

Reply to
Adam Funk