Timeswitch for low energy lamps

I'm wanting to fit a timeswitch to my external lights. I have 2, operated from the same switch. One has a 20 watt low energy lamp, the other a 7 watt. The lower wattage one has to be lower wattage as it'll light up next doors living room if it's any brighter!

Trouble is, the only time switches I can find either don't work with low energy lamps, or a Timeguard unit which has a minimum load of 20 watt PER BULB (I have checked this with their tech dept).

Does anyone know of any more capable timeswitches as I really don't want to ditch the low energy lamps.

Reply to
keiron99

You need one with a proper built in switch that takes a neutral (usually to drive a relay, or occassionally an electronic switch). The ones that don't support CFLs are ones which rely on the incandescent bulb passing through enough current to drive the electronics in order to not need a neutral (which is often not available at the switch location).

Immersion timers would work.

might find something smaller, cheaper and electronic if you look hard enough. However, they will only work if you do have a neutral, which may require rewiring.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thanks. As it happens, this is a new build extension. When I remove the switch, there is in fact a blue wire in there, but not concected to anything. Can I assume this is neutral? Does this therefore open up the possibilities of what I can use?

Reply to
keiron99

You can never assume anything with electrical installations. However, you can be optimistic. You'll need to test that wire to see if it is indeed a suitable neutral.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Pretty much any mechanical timer will do.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Trouble is most are downright ugly if on show as they might have to be if incorporating an override switch, etc.

My solution was one of the switch replacement types with an added relay. Fitted ok into a 35mm deep box, but of course you need a neutral.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Could anyone be so kind as to hae a look at this item from Screwfix:

've seen it in B&Q to. There's no reference on the packet to any limitations as regards wattage etc.

Think it'll do the trick?

Reply to
keiron99

Since it's battery operated, very likely. It's the ones which get their 'neutral' via the load that are the problem.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Cheers. I'll drop in at Screwfix on the way home (=A38 cheaper than B&Q)

Reply to
keiron99

You might want to consider a photocell rather than a timeswitch. Depends what you want to use the lights for. You can get ones which fit in the light fitting. I added one of these to a light:

only required drilling a hole on the top. If the lights are daisy-chained, you could fit it to just the first, and have it switch both of them.

BTW, a 20W low energy lamp is quite bright for an outdoor lamp. Do make sure it doesn't disturb neighbours or dazzle highway users.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

They work fine with CFL's. Battery lasts years.

Reply to
Phil Hughes

Bought and installed it last night. Nice little unit, once I'd mastered which buttons to press. Highly recommended.

Reply to
keiron99

I agree, which is why I was so intent on using the lowest wattage bulb possible, and consequently so limited a choice of switches.

If only some of my neighbours were quite so considerate. It's like Blackpool illuminations round our places these days.

Reply to
keiron99

On 25 Oct 2006 17:39:35 GMT someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote this:-

Alternatively just use a lamp with a built in photocell, provided that the fitting allows it to "see" the outside light levels properly

luminaires can also be controlled by a time clock. So that, for example, they will be enabled between 06:00 and 09:00 and

16:00 and 23:30. This avoids having to adjust a time clock throughout the year and only provides light when wanted.
Reply to
David Hansen

I've tried some of these types in the past and always had the problem of them "flashing off" briefly every 20 or so seconds.

Tried them in different positions both inside and out.

Seems the light from the bulb is trying to turn itself off !

A pity they would be very useful otherwise

Robert Robert

Reply to
robert

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 18:55:51 +0100 someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid wrote this:-

Something may well be reflecting the light back onto the sensor.

Reply to
David Hansen

Very likely , but almost impossible to avoid when used in any type of external enclosure or even in internal porch.

Is this common or have I just been unlucky ? Robert

Reply to
robert