Timer Off Switch

I'm looking for a timing device that will turn my printer off at a specific time say 10 PM but wont turn it back on again. I will do that manually . I just don't want my printer running at night but know I will forget to turn it off.

parts

Reply to
Christopher

My Canon has an option on it's Properties window that does just that. It goes into standby and turns on again automatically next time you want to print.

Reply to
PCPaul

You may be lucky and find that the printer power switch is a momentary type and does not stay "ON" after a power down power up sequence.

Reply to
robert

Can't help immediatley I'm afraid but there used to be digital time switches that were configured such that this would happen. I've one on our bed heater blanket - if you switch it on manually, it will switch back to auto at the next OFF point (and presumably if there wasn't an ON setting, that would have suited the OP's requirements).

Unfortunately current digital time switches once switched to MANUAL, remain there.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I have an FCU conveniently situated on the wall adjacent to the computer which switches off everything. Can't see the point in leaving the computer on when not needed anymore than a printer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Some printers object to being powered down from the wall, rather then their own (soft) button.

Epson InkJet printers are notorius for this, it causes them to lose the ink levels in the cartridges, and report them as empty sometimes.

I have connected a relay controlled socket to my periferals (Excluding the printer) and connected the 12v rail from the PC to the coil, so when the PC is turned on or off, everything else is also turned on/off.

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

I totally agree - not properly shutting down most computer devices will cause problems. They typically have a routine that requires them to be connected to the mains - parking the heads, etc.

Reply to
John

May be a bit of an overkill - but you could use an NVR switch such as

in conjunction with a simple plug-in timer.

An NVR switch is intended for power tools, and has a latching relay which is held in by the mains. If the mains is lost, the tool stops. When the mains is restored, the tool doesn't automatically restart but requires the Start button to be pressed. Sounds like what you need?

Reply to
Roger Mills

These do, and are great VFM at =A37 for a pack of 2:

Basically you can cycle between manual on/auto/manual off/auto and so on.

As you change from manual to auto it stays on or off, then switches at the next time setting that does the opposite IYSWIM.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C