Timer for Fan

I have a simple pull switch fan in my shower room. It also has a window, so no desperate need for ventilation, but I would like to run the fan for a while after a shower to avoid excess humidity/condensation.

Can I buy some sort of timer switch?

It is currently wired Live and Neutral from a fused box outside the room (There is space here for a switch/relay/whatever)

The pull switch at the fan simply connects the live to the motor.

I could easily replace the 2 core with 3 core, if needed (probably), but I think the pull switch is only a single pole (problem?).

I would like for a pull on the switch to start the fan, and leave it running for 1/2 hour or so.

I can see that I would probably need 2 pulls ('off' then 'on') to start it the next time - this is not a problem

It seems to me I need a switch (relay?) which powers up when power is applied, and powers down after a set time, even if power is STILL applied

So, suggestions? Links to equipment? Alternative approaches?

Neal

Sorry for the poor terminology - I could easily draw the circuit, and a little diagram to describe it, but my ASCII art isn't up to scratch to present it here.

And I am also aware of the regs w.r.t wiring in bathrooms etc.

Reply to
Neal

Look at TLC remote timer EK 320A. I am using one to switch off heating in a rented hall (which is on a time clock in a locked cupboard) for 30 mins using a relay to invert the action. IIRC the time is adjustable in two or three ranges.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

Another option is to replace the fan with one with an inbuilt timer. e.g.

requires a 3-core + earth feed to it - one core of which is the "trigger" that is connected to the light circuit, the other two being L+N so it has its own power. They also sell 3 pole fan isolator switches.

Charlie

Reply to
charlieB

An ordinary fan timer module will work if you replace the pull switch with a momentary-action one. You can also get momentary-action ceiling pull switches.

Owain

Reply to
Owain