Timely reminder - Fan Heaters, check for hot running and clean.

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Jules saying something like:

Same on mine. There's a definite correlation with humidity, ie, high RH, sticky shift.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Hmm, not so sure with mine - we're at 63% RH here, and the key seems no more or less sticky than during the summer months. Pressed anywhere in the last right-hand 10% of the key length, it doesn't want to go down, but is fine in the other 90% (actually, I realised that perhaps we're describing different problems; with mine the problem is that the key sticks and won't go down - not that it sticks and won't come back up once pressed)

That RH shift key is the longest key other than the spacebar, but (unlike the spacebar) there's no sway bar* underneath it - I think that might be the problem with mine, in that the key just tilts too much (and given the age, maybe there's a wear issue at play) when pressed right on the outer edge in the last 10%.

  • not on my early one, anyway - not sure if they added one on later models...

Adding a sway bar might be possible, but that's a rainy-day project for when I get sufficiently annoyed by it :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules