timed meter

Is it possible to get Scottish Power to fit a timed meter like used on storage heaters so I can put the washing and drying on at night? I dont have and dont want storage heater though

Reply to
Staffbull

The tariff you refer to is called Economy 7. Not sure if it is still available to new users The units might be cheap for the 7 hours over night but they are really expensive during the daytime. In this way the tariff only makes sense if nearly all of your consumption is at night. I suspect that this won't suit your needs.

NB they won't fit two meters and supply you on two different tariffs one on each at the same address - I tried that!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Modern (anything in last 30+ years) european washing machines don't actually use much power per wash either. I suspect you would have to be running several of them all night before it became economical.

BTW, Maplin had their plug-in power meter on special offer when I was in there last weekend. You could use this to work out exactly how much a wash costs you, but I suspect it's in the pence range.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks, and cheers for the info on Maplin, I've been after one of those for "toy" vlaue :-)

Reply to
Staffbull

Not quite true. Yes, the day units are more expensive than normal domestic tarrif ones and so is the standing charge but you don't need to have "nearly all of your consumption" at night.

I haven't updated my spread sheet that does the number chrunching for me but with:

Standing Charge Peak Off Peak E7 12.97 6.46 2.46 Domestic 9.39 5.94 To save Standing Charge 1.46 units per night. To save Peak Rate 0.21 Off Peak units per Peak unit used.

Which works out at about of 1/4 of your consumption required in the off peak period. Though it varies on consumption of course:

7 peak, 3 off peak, 10 total/day 12 peak, 4 off peak, 16 total/day 16 peak 5 off peak, 21 total/day

All break even or better over the domestic tarrif.

But the dryer does... B-)

Agreed doing some basic research into actual power used is a good idea. The couple(ish) units to save the standing charge increase may well be used by normal consumption by TV, lights, computers, fridge/freezers etc in the 7 hour off peak period.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice