Time To Install A Replacement Bath

I am getting a replacement bath and my insurance company is paying for it and asked me to get quotes for doing so .First company said £258 which was thought to be rather steep .I called another company who said £44 for the first 30 minutes then £22 each 30 minutes thereafter . They were to get someone to call back with an estimate of how long the fitting should take .

Anyone on here got any ideas as to the time involved .Would 2 hours be enough ? The company is about 400 yards from where I live ..

It is a straight replacement .The only variable may be the height and also the tap holes have to be drilled .

I can sort out the panels once the floor is finished ( sanded) so long as the height of the bath suits them .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

I can't comment on the prices, but I'd stick to fixed-price quotations rather than accepting an estimate based on an hourly rate. There's too much scope for price inflation with an estimate. As it's an insurance job you want to know that the price you've quoted to your insurers is what you are going to be charged by your supplier otherwise you may be forced to cough up the difference yourself. Someone who does that sort of work for a living should be able to give you a fixed price for the job.

Mike

Reply to
MikeH

I doubt you could replace any kind of bath in 2 hours.

I assume this involves turning off the hot & cold supply and removing old bath - is it cast iron, steel or GRP? Cast iron is a 2 man job to move.

Are the H&C supply copper, iron or lead? Is the waste PVC, copper or lead?

Connecting a new bath involves reconnecting the supply & waste which may or may not be straightforward.

I'd want a day to be on the safe side, could even take longer. £160 a day + any materials. Not sure how much a bath is at the moment.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It's taken me nearly 3 months and counting to replace my bathroom. Sort of thinking this could be my wife's Christmas present now! Maybe I should have got Dave in

Reply to
deckertim

A DAY .???

Turning off hot and cold ?.................a screwdriver to turn the supply off on the feed pipes below the bath taps

Removing old bath .? .............. I'll do that myself beforehand .It is acrylic as will be the new one .

H supply?............ plastic with a flexible tail C supply?........... copper with a flexible tail .

Waste?..................plastic.

I might have confused things in my post .I am arranging the supply of the bath .This is just about the fitting .

You seem to be forgetting that I stay here .

I fitted the existing bath and I know what is going to be involved . All I want them to do is fit the supports to the bath ,place the bath in it's postion which is the same as the existing one .Level it and secure it and connect the feed and waste. The only extra bit is drilling holes for the taps as the bath will not have any and they will be in the same position as on the existing bath .....I'll fit the panels later so as long as the bath height is ok for the panels that'll be ok. I'll also seal it and do the tiling once it is in . All in all I'm wondering why I'm even getting someone else to fit it but it's only because the insurance are paying and if they damage it then they can replace it .

Stuart .

Reply to
Stuart

Ah... different story...

What will happen if you damage the new bath when tiling it, sealing it or fitting the panel?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Depends on what the contractor finds.......

Assuming they are fitted - I've spent half an hour finding a stopcock before now because the house owner didn't have a clue where it was. Service valves are rare - trust me.

You didn't provide either piece of information in your post. Big Difference. Are you supplying the new bath or is the contractor?

Now you tell us.

Again - now you tell us.

You did. Big time.

You seem to forget that house owners often have no idea of where service shut offs are, wouldn't know a waste from a saxaphone, let alone the variety of plumbing systems used over the last 40 years.

Then why didn'y you make that clear instead of wasting everybodys time??

Then I trust you have explained to your contractor exactly what you have just explained to me.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

True, remember that unless the old bath isn't fitted well or is freestanding you will end up needing to angle grind through the bath to make sure you don't pull away huge chunks of wall.

Once you have included the removal, fitting taps and waste to the batch then fitting them in, leveling and resealing, the estimate of a day isn't too far of the mark. I think it took about 5-6 hours when me and a mate did it the other week.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

The bath ( acrylic) has already been out a couple of times recently when I was detiling and Aquapanelling the walls so removing it ( I'm doing that) isn't a problem .

I'll work on a max of 3 hours which one contractor who phoned me this morning has said is reasonable given what I have told him about what is required .

I've got another guy coming tomorrow to quote so we'll se what he says given that he will actually see the situation and not quote by 'phone

Stuart .

Reply to
Stuart

Exactly the same as if I had bought the bath myself . I'll just need to be careful .We are back full circle to the " Tile then Bath" or " Bath then Tile" argument aren't we .:-)

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

They are fitted. I know cos I fitted them .

I am arranging supply of bath .

Yes ..and one is actually coming out tomorrow to see what's what .

Stuart .

Reply to
Stuart

I was thinking more in terms of getting the installer to do the other jobs as well if you are concerned about risk. Presumably this is an accidental damage claim - won't the insurer pay for the whole job less an excess?

Reply to
Andy Hall

As you say It is an AD claim but I have taken the opportunity to retile the walls and get the floor sanded ( with the panels not fitted) at the same time so I can really only claim for the bath and fitting . So long as the bath is fitted to a height that suits the panels I can refit them myself once other things are completed .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart