Time of year

The 9th EC directive on the issue has confirmed the dates as the last Sunday in March and the last Sunday in October. Furthermore, the directive now says this rule is to apply "indefinitely". Since 1981 the dates in all member states have been governed by such directives. The indefinite nature of the ruling means it is worthwhile building the rules in to equipment.

Bob Mannix

>In the old days, when memory was expensive, Zeller's Congruence was used to ascertain the day of the week from date mathematically (I still have a program somewhere - useful for getting the day of your birth etc). I guess now memory is cheap it's just a look up table.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

If Europe wishes to have the same time zone as the UK then make them change.

Reply to
Mike

And make them drive on the left hand side of the road.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Anna Kettle coughed up some electrons that declared:

I'd have triple BST. I hate mornings anyway, and who needs light to drive to the train station, sit in an office then go home...

But having light evenings would be so much more useful...

The only people I can think it would affect are the construction trade and farmers. Farmers can do what they like when they like, so that just leaves the issue of a building site starting late and running until 7pm.

:-o

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Broadback coughed up some electrons that declared:

There you go - it's a "green" measure.

I'll shut up now.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Yup.

Building sites - at least in residential areas - don't start until 8. So apart from a few weeks a year it would make no difference, and it would be swings and roundabouts anyway when the light gets shorter than the working day.

As regards farmers they already have to consider the light rather than the clock.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And speak English

Reply to
Mike

If people are worried about the little tots going to or from school in the dark then why does nobody ever ask why we make them go to school on the winter solstice - the darkest day of the year? If you want to avoid tots walking in the dark, the winter break should be equally spread around the darkest day of the year, not the nonsense of going to school all the way up to the darkest day and *beyond*!

Christmas/New Year break: 10th Dec to 2nd Jan.

-- JGH

Reply to
jgharston

I wonder how many of us can take that kind of time off work. Or how much it would cost to have someone look after them for that time. I preferred to buy my kids reflective coats and leg bands. It was much, much cheaper than any other option.

Reply to
BigWallop

Ok, 17th Dec to 25th Dec - nine days, just like now, but the nine darkest days of the year.

-- JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Ok, 17th Dec to 25th Dec - nine days, just like now, but the nine darkest days of the year.

JGH

I don't think my kids would have liked going back to school on the day after Christmas. In fact, I don't think I'd like it, going back to work on boxing day, either.

I'm OK with the way it is now, thankyouverymuch. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

For lots of people it just means less office parties.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

My white collar is always dirty. I've tried the office thaaang, but the tools keep calling me back. The only party I'll get at Christmas time, is the one where I get drunk and fall asleep in the back of the van. If they leave me in the back of the van this year. :-) They usually do.

I better explain that a little. The guys do all the work around Chrimmbo time and I get to shake all the hands of the people who have kept us in work for the past year, while handing out the "thank you" pressies. We usually find time for a little cheer at this time, so I get carried to the next place to do it all again, and again, and again.

Come to think about it. I like Christmas Time. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

The message from "BigWallop" contains these words:

The may be the darkest days of the year but they are not quite the darkest mornings.

I can't find sunrise times to the nearest second but the period 27th December - 4th January has a sunrise time a minute later than the adjacent periods and 3 minutes later than that on the 21st December.

With the daily variation in sunrise time being so small at this time of the year as far as mornings are concerned it doesn't seem to matter much whether the holiday period is centred on Xmas Day, New Years Day or even the winter solstice.

Reply to
Roger

In article , ARWadsworth scribeth thus

Just out of curiosity how many are being charged for them this year compared to times previous. It seems that quite a few firms are expecting some contribution;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

People have to arrange childcare during the long summer holidays.

It would save a lot on school heating and lighting to have the long break through the winter and keep the schools open in summer.

Children are no longer needed to work in the fields in the summer, and many families go abroad for holidays anyway so having summer holidays in winter wouldn't mean people missed out on their suntan.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Chimneys need to be swept more in the winter, as well. ;-)

Reply to
PJ

It would be more fuel efficient to keep the schools open, rather than having to heat lots of homes for the extra weeks.

Reply to
<me9

Let's put the little ones in school 50 weeks of the year! All in the name of fuel efficiency :)

-- JGH

Reply to
jgharston