Time of year

Why do the Scots always grumble about their lack of daylight in Winter? Surely they know they make up for it in the Summer, all of earth has exactly the same daylight, and dark, average 12 hours a day. Another reason our pathetic government want to alter the clocks is to have us on the same time as the EEC. How ever does the USA manage, different time zones in the same country? Does not seem to have held them back!

Reply to
Broadback

In the same country? In the same bloomin' state:

Reply to
Rod

Don't be silly. BST existed long before the 'EEC'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The Drayton Digitast remote programable thermostats also re-set themselves. I have no idea if they are radio clocks though. (The manual does say "set up in the factory" so I doubt it is radio.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Like they used to before railway time?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Railway time's not that accurate. Station clocks can be up to 1 minute slow or 3 minutes fast.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Indeed, but the government wish to change that to "GBT", which would mean synchronising us with the EEC, that would give us what is now BST all Winter and double BST in the Summer.

Reply to
Broadback

Indeed

Reply to
The Nomad

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying something like:

Red lights, a-plenty.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Oh goodie! This is the first time I have felt in close communion with this government for a long time ...

And Robgraham I am sorry if I upset your expectations but I expect it wont get any better now cos I am the right side ot a bottle of carmenere tonight and I am not ms perfect as you have discovered

Anna

-- Anna Kettle Lime plaster repair and conservation Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc Tel:    (+44)  01359 230642 Mob:   (+44)  07976 649862 Please look at my website for examples of my work at:

Anna Kettle

I'd guess that would suit the majority of the population of the UK rather well.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I can't really see any reason for 'changing the clocks'. Why not simply change the times at which you do outdoorsy-type things like going to work/school, etc, to suit the available light?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I've never understood why the two change dates are not an equal distance from shortest day.

Listen to national radio here (Australia) and each time check has four different times!

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Thanks Adam. I think that might be just what I want for the heating. It doesn't really matter how it works - so long as it can cope with the government changing the rules.

Edgar

Reply to
Edgar

Errr, if it's not a radio one the one thing it can't do is deal with the rules being changed (the rules being built in otherwise). Personally I just changed the clock on mine - as a DIY group aren't we getting a wee bit pathetic?

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Ahhh .. that's the point. The radio ones will adjust to an external signal, but the others that re-set themselves are like the clock in your PC - it's 'hard-wired' in and will change regardless of any government on the last Sunday in October and whenever it is in March.

Rob

Reply to
Rob G

You can change the times *you* do things - but only changing the clocks forces others to fall in step.

You could equally say those who don't want more sensible daylight hours which we'd get in the south through double BST could ignore them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If it's microprocessor controlled it won't cope with a change in the 'rules' except by a software change. A radio controlled one will. Assuming you can receive that radio signal, which isn't guaranteed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think he means when railway clocks were set to the same time throughout the country .

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

The one in your PC will change when it should, or at least it will under windows as the rules are downloaded from windows update.

Reply to
dennis