Time for a new tyre?

Just back from a short trip in the car.

On the way back I went through a huge pot hole right in the middle of the road. I was only doing ~30mph, but neither of us on the front seats noticed it. All four of us nearly had a heart attack from the impact...

Getting out of the car when we arrived home I noticed that one of the front tyres looks a bit strange... I know noting about cars, but it is clearly not right. I put a few photos here:

questions are:

  1. Is it time for a new tyre (I can probably guess the answer...)?
  2. Do both front tyres need to be replaced? Both were replaced just over a year (~10,000 miles) ago. They were over £150 each IIRC.
  3. Is it safe to drive for a few days (no more than 30mph, and in town) until I find the time to sort it out?
  4. Can I take the council to the cleaners? And if so, how?

Cheers,

J.

Reply to
JoeJoe

Yes. Maybe tracking and the alloy wheel may be damaged.=20 No. No. Possibly; if they knew of it and had done nothing, they may have been negl= igent. they'll say they didn't know of it, you probably can't prove otherwi= se, so probably no.=20

They are websites to report potholes, see if someone else had reported this= .

Reply to
Onetap

Looks like it. It wouldn't pass the MOT.

That's a piece of string question. Depends how worn the other front is compared to the new one. Does the car have a real spare, is that still new? Damaged front into the bin, spare and new on the back, rears to front, old front as spare. Newer, grippier, tyres on the back may seem counter intuative but if the back end lets go on a frontwheel drive car =

it's very difficult to regain control:

'd just had new tyres on the front...

Probably but bung the spare on?

You can try, I think people have been succesfull in the past. You'll nee= d evidence like photos of hole (with ruler in shot for scale) etc, the damage (again with something for scale), time/date of incident, weather =

and road conditions (was the hole full of water concealing it or it's depth?)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It certainly needs replacing, death is on the cards otherwise. Also check w= heel condition and tracking. No need to replace the other front one if its = ok.

As for safety at 30, probably, for debateable values of safety. If it pops = you get problems steering on a corner. Its certainly not legal to drive it = like that.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Yes: "sidewall damage mate! Can't mend that!"

I don't see why, if the other one is OK wear-wise.

Pass. Probably.

Ha ha: good luck!

Personally, I don't blame the councils for this dreadful --I'd almost say "criminal" neglect of our roads. I blame successive [oops - nearly said 'successful' there!] governments for forcing councils to cut their council tax take year on year on year, whilst simultaneously cutting government subsidy.

Why? Because nobody ever explains to the public why taxes are a *good* thing. And of course, (coming back to the councils) the councils are the last people to explain adequately what they *do* with all the money they do garner, hence immense public distrust, not to say vilification.

Fortunately for me I'll be dead within 10 years, so I won't have to watch this country steadily decay to the state of (random example) Rumania.

John

Reply to
Another John

Yes, the sidewall is clearly damaged...

No, and you need to find a cheaper place to get tyres ;-)

Who knows... Its probably ok around town, but I would not trust it at speed.

You can certainly do something.

Reply to
John Rumm

Ooh aye: forgot to mention that: another reason why alloys are Bad News!

J.

Reply to
Another John

The tyre is f**ked. There are cords inside broken. The wheel will need checking out. Your tyre supplier will likely want to send the wheel away for checking out. They can fix surprisingly severe wheel damage. Don't drive on it, it might blow out and your wheel be damaged. The damage might be worse still on the inside of the tyre.

If the cops spotted it you could be done also.

The complete steering geometry will need to be checked also rear wheel alignment. Toe in/out camber, the lot. Also the rear tyres for bulges on the inside etc.

Don't you have a spare wheel?

Our local council gets done frequently for this sort of thing. Dunno the ins and outs.

Reply to
harry

Depends on how worn the other one is. As Dave says, if you buy two new ones, put them on the back

They were over £150 each IIRC.

Good grief

I wouldn't. You'd have a job pleading ignorance now the world knows.

Honest John goes on about some website on this topic.

As a matter of interest, what size tyre is it, what pressure should it be at, what pressure was it at, and when did you last check it?

Reply to
Kevin

If it hasn't been reported do it. You may save someone else from being in the same position as you.

On the car - I'm not sure I'd take it up to 30. Don't you have a spare? Even a space saver would be better than that. If you must drive on it, put it on the back and drive like a granny. And speak to a reputable tyre dealer on whether the pair need replacing.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I sometimes dip into another newsgroup called uk.legal.moderated They have detailed discussions there about this kind of stuff. Maybe you could try asking there?

Reply to
Chade

Stupid Ford S-Max - no spare at all...

Reply to
JoeJoe

On the tyre it says: 225/50 R17 98W

Pressure was as it should be as I checked it a few days ago.

Reply to
JoeJoe

a rear blowout has less effect than a front, but either way its not legal

If you want to be sold something you don't need, just ask someone that stands to profit from their answer

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Well, as I already mentioned, I am ignorant when it comes to cars. When the original tyres needed replacing I simply opted for the cheapest place I could find for a like-for-like replacement (tyre make, size, etc). It was one of those online places that sent it to a local garage and they fitted it. I cannot remember the exact figures, but it was at least 20% cheaper than anything I could find locally (and I did look).

Reply to
JoeJoe

A reputable dealer wouldn't but finding a reputable dealer is not easy. And as can be seen from the answers here about replacing one or both or moving them about almost any answer under the sun available...

I'd not any of the tyre fitting chains into the reputable camp for sure. A smaller privately owned place may well value repeat business and their reputation above notes in thier back pocket.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Chade wrote in news:33ec59da-6faa-4433-88fa- snipped-for-privacy@r4g2000vbi.googlegroups.com:

The council will have records that will show that thy have inspected the road within a certain period and this gets them off the hook.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

its impossible, other than by dealing with someone for long enough to find out if they genuinely are. Reputation means little IME.

Tyre rotation belongs to the days of crossplies. Using the damaged tyre is illegal. There's no necessity to replace tyres in pairs. The rest is debatable.

Yes, sometimes. Usually not though. Darwin has been busy.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

bulge in a tyre, changed it for a space saver, she held it on her lap in the passenger seat of a sports car because it wouldn't fit back in the well and the boot was full and it spontaneously exploded killing her.

Reply to
Alan J. Wylie

What size tyre is it?

I just paid about £75/each for 215/45 R17 on a W speed rating. Depending on what brand I went for I could have spent anything from arroud £45, to pushing £200.

Reply to
John Rumm