Time for a beer?

I've been out of touch recently and wondered if any of our southern regulars fancied a beer sometime soon?

To get this started how's about the following suggestion:

Wednesday 28th July at The George in Winnersh:

because they do food and it's easy to find for anyone coming off the M4/A329M.

It's literally next door to the Showcase Cinema at Winnersh - head for Reading from the A329M and it's a couple of hundred yards on the right at the first junction.

Andrew

Reply to
PoP

Good choice. Excellent food with an amazing range from cheap basics (gammon and chesse melted hot hob) to triumphs of French inspired cuisine (medallions of lamb with rosemary and port jus served on a bed of creamed garlic and coarse grain mustard mash).

I'll try to make it, but it will have to be tentative. My wife is due to give birth around then...

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I haven't been to that pub, though, but pass it regularly. It seems to get busy in the summer - have you been there?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I would consider it, perhaps, the absolutely perfect venue for this. Large inside, there should be plenty of space of a Wednesday night. It the unlikely event that the weather remembers that it is summer, it is very pleasant sitting by the river.

It is an ideal place to go for good food in a pub setting, when you don't want the formality of a restaurant.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I've not been there for a long time. Is it reasonable?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

What do you mean by reasonable? Reasonably priced? Reasonable atmosphere? Reasonable food?

I'd say the food was excellent. The atmosphere was good. The price reasonable.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Yes, I meant quality and atmosphere......

I didn't imagine that prices would be exorbitant....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

So inconsiderate some of these women aren't they? Can't she manage on her own this time? ;)

Only kidding, good luck for the new arrival when it happens!

Andrew

Reply to
PoP

In message , Christian McArdle writes

What beer does it serve?

Reply to
raden

The beer isn't as good as the food, but passable.

From the top of my head

Theakston's XB Courage Directors John Smiths ES Fosters Kronenbourg Becks Draught Guiness Guiness EC

1 guest ale (usually good, such as Summer Lightning)

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

... and even if she doesn't you'll be grounded if she finds out about the menu! :-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

I wonder whether the Collins or Readers Digest book of home childbirth is best?

Reply to
Conrad Edwards

Don't laugh. I've had to sit through a home movie style video of several home water births. The last one was reasonably realistic, but the first one was surreal. She laid back, moaned with what appeared to be pleasure for 5 minutes and the baby popped out.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:46:39 +0100, "Christian McArdle" strung together this:

I'm just trying to think of any scenario where that would happen in real life.....I'll get back to you....

Reply to
Lurch

I suspect that there was some editing, and that a 9 month section in the middle has been consigned to the cutting room floor.

I can understand the notions of home births and water births, but I do wonder about the mechanics of combining the two in a standard domestic bath.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

It isn't done in a standard domestic bath. It is done in something resembling a high sided children's framed paddling pool.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

OK.

So can you buy a complete deal including pool, midwife and an enormous waterproof sheet for the living room floor?

I can see the appeal of home birth vs. production line though.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

No. The NHS supplies the midwife, the pool company hires out the pool.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I see. That's adventurous of the NHS. That attitude has changed over the last few years it seems.

Is this what you're going to go for? Well not you, but the collective you IYSWIM.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 14:52:16 +0100, "Christian McArdle" strung together this:

Hmm, niche in the market, I'm off to see the bank manager with my new business idea!

Reply to
Lurch