Timber window-cill

HI Folks Looking to re-finish the window-cill that sits on top of the dwarf wall in our 'sunroom' (lean-to conservatory with slated roof). Cill is a c-shape - about 2ft x 24ft x 12ft and 14" wide - two right-angle joints.

Current 'cill' is a rather nasty slate tile - looks scruffy, hard to keep clean & isn't wide enough.

Main requirements are to look presentable, be easy to clean, and be OK for sitting pot plants on (not that sort! ).

Plan so far is 18mm ply (glued down), topped with laminate flooring and edged with a timber moulding. Could just go with the 18mm ply and varnish it - but can't think of a tidy way to hide the butt-joints / right-angle joints in the 18mm ply - hence the idea of using the click-together laminate.

I do understand that laminate flooring doesn't like to be soaked in water - so some care would be necessary in plant-watering. How would you go about making the 90-degree joints in the laminate as unobtrusively as possible ?

Any other suggestions ? We've thought about tiles but it's not really going to offer a great improvement...

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Why not use a piece of real wood that is the same species as your flooring? Messing about with ply, laminate flooring and trim sounds like a hard way of doing a simple job.

Incidentally window cills go on the outside and window boards are the normally used name for what you want.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

HI Bob

Fair enough - 'boards' it is. The flooring at the moment is tiles.

My thought re 'real treewood' was that it'd still require some sort of joining along the 24ft length, and was possibly more likely to warp / twist in the sunshine...?

The thought with the lam flooring was that it's designed to have staggered joints along its length, so would be less noticeable than a couple of joints in the ply surface at 8ft intervals.

Did think about a piece of kitchen worktop - but it might be a bit on the thick side....?

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

How about tiling it? Ceramic tiles of course with waterproof adhesive, You are bound to get some condensation drips and the occasional accident when watering plants.There are some very decorative tiles to be had which might enhance the conservatory. Don

Reply to
Donwill

I can't get my head around the dimensions of this window board.

24 feet, by 12 feet, by 2 feet by 14 inches????????
Reply to
Phil L

Sorry.....

Imagine a 'C'-shape (in plan view)

========= = = = = = = = = = ===door==

Sort of like that...??

Top piece is 12ft long Bottom piece (to left of door is 2ft long) Piece between them is 24ft

And the cill / window-board needs to be about 14" wide

Hope that's clearer ? A

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Thanks Don - but I've been told 'no tiles' - so that's not an option

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Sorry I had not picked up on the sizes. 24' x 14" will need joints. I also just assume the laminate idea was to match the floor.

Despite your comments further down this thread - some sort of ceramic tile really seems the right material to use for the application. Maybe you need to convert the artistic director??

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Can we just be clear, the spelling is 'sill'

That's all.

Reply to
OG

No! Cill is the more common, but sill is also used.

Reply to
<me9

Sorry - I should have made that clear

- maybe .......

Actually, there's another subtle 'wrinkle'.

The current sill / cill / windowboard is not as wide as we'd like (just had some blinds fitted which 'steal' a couple of inches from the width of the 'boards') - so the idea with the ply boarding was to extend the width of the boards a little. I think that tiles in this application would be too brittle if any pressure was put on the 'hanging-over' bit...

So - pursuing the laminated flooring idea for a moment.... I've not used this stuff before, I understand that it's 'click-together'. How would you go about forming a neat 90-degree joint between the laminate sections in order to turn the corner ? Just saw off the click-joints and glue ? (I know that in 'normal' flooring use you'd never want to do this...)

Alternatively - any ideas for producing a near-invisible join between pieces of ply (assuming that we did the ply but not the laminate covering...)

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Its not necessarily. its either. Apparently. cill came first.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher