Timber Price Comparison

If only they did cost just twice as much. More like ten times in many cases ! Still worth it proportionally (since most PPro tools have near zero worth) but I couldn't afford everything from them.

Reply to
G&M

But they usually offer trade discount of around the VAT

Reply to
G&M

This one does:

So the above figure includes VAT.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

You don't have any *Timber Merchants* in your part of the country.? ? try

Mark

In message , Edwin Spector writes

My local (very good) timber yard

47x100 regularised* C16 carcassing 1.29/mtr Planed redwood probably about 2.10/mtr. Vat inclusive.

The redwood would be way better quality than the shit banana wood you get from the sheds, and any length you want to 4.8m.

*The regularised stuff is planed (a bit) and roundy cornered, whitewood, and comes out about 44x95.
Reply to
Steven Briggs

This is the same stuff, AFAICS, which is sold as Canadian Lumber Standard (CLS). There is 44x95, as you say, and smaller ones of about 38x63, 38x89 and 38x140

As you say, it is nice to use in situations where PAR is not really needed but sawn is not good enough.

It's quite a bit less expensive than PAR and even in the DIY places not priced badly and of fairly good quality. Last time I bought some from B&Q, it was from a good and straight batch from Stora Enso, one of the large Finnish producers.

. .andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

IIRC B&Q don't sell redwood at all, so their "planed softwood" is whitewood, spruce, CLS, construction material, or whatever else you want to call it. Merchants usually sell whitewood and redwood but there is, rightly, a big difference in price. Spruce is fine for a lot of applications but is virtually unmachineable.

Reply to
stuart noble

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 11:26:11 +0100, "stuart noble"

Generally true. I have bought some in there on the odd occasion, but it is generally cheaper at a timber yard anyway.

Of course/.

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I think a large part of a secretary's job in a small builder's office is phoning around for prices on timber and etc. Of course delivery times are a big factor for them, too.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

In message , Andy Hall writes

Well yes the ideas the same as CLS (i.e. safer for handling), but its apparently the latest British Standard for studding work. CLS is neat round figure _finished_ size, i.e. 1.5" x 2.5" (and some others), regularised is a bit awkward, being 6mm / 1/4" down on its nominal 2x3 etc. My Brother (a pro joiner) doesn't like the stuff as standard width door casings etc don't match it. I suspect things will catch up eventually.

As you say, its pretty reasonable stuff for the price. I've now used most of my 52 pieces of 4.2m 2x3 regularised for the shed build, and most of its pretty straight and very little twist. Can't say the same about 3 off 3m lengths of 2x4 regularised I got, all ended up with 20-30 degrees of twist (outside, but under cover). Two I used, but the last piece I pulled out yesterday for the veranda ridge beam was beyond redemption. Down the yard this morning for a nice length of 50x100 redwood PSE. So back to the original topic, £1.69/m + vat

Reply to
Steven Briggs

Are you comparing like with like? I just 'phoned Jewson, and was told =A32.39/m (=A35.74/2.4m, specified simply "redwood"). Travis Perkins, who I think are often robbers, have on their website REDWOOD STD/5THS PSE PAR 50X100MM =A32.21 - M, or about =A35.30. Normally DIY stores are not known for quality timber, although I nipped in to a B&Q Who^H^Harehouse a while ago and noticed some nice redwood boards in length.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built