Timber Batons - minimum thickness for Plasterboard

On one wall of the kitchen it is covered in tiles which I intend removing. I know that the plaster etc.. under the tiles will come off with the tiles.

Once the tiles are removed I want to attach batons to the brick wall (Not external) then just Plasterboard across. What is the minimum thickness of timber I could use for the batons as the less it protrudes from the wall the better?

Tks

Reply to
inNeedofHelp

Why do you need to baton it, could you not just use plasterboard adhesive?

Reply to
Dave Jones

Don't use battens at all (and certainly not batons - they're for conductors and relay runners!) but simply stick the plasterboard onto the brickwork using dabs of adhesive made for the purpose.

Reply to
Set Square

I just restrained nmyself from the first 'baton' but two in a row is too much! :-)

Bits of wood stuck on the wall to fix things to are battens. A baton is a stick used by a conductor or a general or maybe a loaf of bread.

To answer the question, I think I agree with the response above, why do you need battens at all?

Could you not simply plaster the wall? (Or get a plasterer to do it)

Reply to
usenet

================== If you definitely want to use battens then a minimum of 19mm (19mm x 32mm) -

3/4" x 1.5") is OK. You may have to use nails for fixing the plasterboard because you may not be able to get plasterboard screws short enough.

As other posters have said it is much easier to use plasterboard adhesive but difficult to rectify mistakes. Make sure your cabling / pipework etc. are all correct before sticking the plasterboard.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

If you use an SDS drill with a flat bladed chisel, you may be surprised how little the plaster is damaged, compared to the widespread destruction caused by cold chisel and hammer. Getting what is left skimmed will likely get you a better result.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

3/4 + 1/2 = 1.25" PB screws are available from screwfix. If using battens, put insulation in, would be silly not to if its an external wall.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton