Tilting a Television Aerial

My freeview reception from my wall mounted aerial on the rear wall was fine until a neighbours tree grew all of its leaves.

The aerial height is just a bit below the topmost height of the tree.

Would it help if i *tilted* the aerial *up* to point over the tree, or do transmission signals not work like this?

Reply to
john west

It might help a bit (I think you should have a little nose-up anyway) but the leaves are going to better at blocking signal than causing any "lensing" of the signal at such a short range ... you're going to keep having the problem as the tree grows year by year, getting the aerial up higher would be a better solution.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In article , john west scribeth thus

No they don't. Best bet is to either;

Get your aerial above the tree.

Or,

Reduce the height of the tee;)

It might be more practical to move the aerial into your loft space if you have one. Can you say where you are at all and or what the serving transmitter is?....

Reply to
tony sayer

My only connection with:

is as a very satisfied customer (and they are 150 miles from where I live!) I suggest that you have a look at their website as it will tell you all you need to know.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

tony sayer wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bancom.co.uk:

Loft would be worse as it would then be faced with the signal being degraded through the roofing materials.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

[Snip]

But not if you have Red concrete roof tiles

Reply to
charles

That seems to me a little too firm given the OP said the aerial is wall mounted. The loft might then put it higher where the loss from roofing materials is less than the loss from the leaves etc. Or it may allow a position to one side of the tree. And it may also be easier (and more acceptable to anyone with an aesthetic veto) to fit in the loft an aerial with higher gain.

Reply to
Robin

That reminded me off

which has many "dos and don'ts" based on Bill's extensive knowledge - including knowledge of ways to fall off/through things :)

Reply to
Robin

The higher gain of an aerial would be insignificnat in comparison with losses through roofing materials. A small mast head amp might well be needed. But if the aerial in wall mounted, I'd suggest a longer pole. A good T&K bracket and a 2" pole could give another 10ft in height.

Reply to
charles

The trouble with red tiles which I mentioned is the thcolour comed from iron oxide (rust) and they can create a very good screen at tv frequenices. Red clay tiles aren't such a problem.

Reply to
charles

They do not go around corners unless they have something to reflect from.

Seriously, can you not just trim the tree?

If the aerial is quite old then the down-lead may well now be on the way out and letting moisture in through the sleeving or at the aerial connections box, so might be time to get it installed somewhere moor out in the open. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Bill will be here soon with the answer.

In article , DerbyBorn scribeth thus

Right...

That may or may not be a problem. Some roofing materials are better than others and as Charles points red roof tiles are probably the worst of the lot.

However a lot depends on frequency. Signals at the lower end of the band such as channels 21 to 30 odd are less affected than signals at the top end of the band are. The aerial itself and cable can make a big difference as well and that can include the location of the aerial in the loft relative to the tree/s consider also that there might be extra height to be had.

Hence the question of where the serving transmitter is so we can get an idea of the frequencies in use and the likely strength of same.

I have seen an instance where an outside aerial gave grainy and badly ghosted pictures on analogue, but at the very same location a Loft aerial has since that time given flawless results on digital TV!.

Yes of course an extended height aerial outside is the "correct" engineering way to go about this, but the OP may not be able to do that or may not want to do that.

I few pix posted somewhere would be worth a thousand speculative words if the OP can do that;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

In practice, and ignoring any theoretical stuff, no it won't work at all.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

That effect might be dwarfed by other factors. Many a time I've moved an aerial into the loft in order that it will not be obstructed by something outside.

See

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

You can get some weird effects if the aerial is looking over trees. Vertical aerial movement will pass through maxima and minima.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Yes, I agree. That Bill Wright knows everything about aerials.

Fred

Reply to
Bill Wright

And then, as if by magic. . .