Tilted fence post - correcting

Hi folks I have a 4inch square fence post near the edge of a ditch, it has been tilted back about 3-4 inches (over the six foot height) ever since we moved into the house. I now want to alter the fence line and the tilt of this post will become obvious since another will be placed 2 foot away and so I need to get rid of the tilt. I am trying to avoid the obvious option of digging it out and resetting it - (I know both from a neighbours observation and moving another in the same line that there is about 3 foot set into concrete in the ground). I was wondering whether I could a) cut 3/4 through at the back and drive a glue soaked wedge in and screw a metal plate across the back or b) make several cuts 3/4 through at the front bottom, fill with glue (guy it upright), and screw a metal plate at the front. I'm not really worried about weakening the fence since the 90 degree change in line will support in the direction of the tilt.

Any advice would be welcomed - should I try a) or b) or something else

Reply to
NikV

Have you tried putting a bit of muscle behind the post to get it back to vertical? If it will move back then just dig down a little and pour in some post-fix to support it in it's new position. Wedge in place with a piece of timber while the mixture sets. Does this make any sense?

riccip

Reply to
riccip