TILING WITH LASER LEVEL

I am due to do my first tiling job, this will be on the walls between the worktop and the wall units. I'm aware it is normal practice to use a batten but i'm using 30 x 30cm tiles and there is just under 2 tiles' height around the kitchen. Therefore i shall be laying a full tile against the worktop. My question is, bearing in mind i'm a beginner, how helpful will a laser level be in this job, and what type should i go for? Does anyone have some views on laser levels.

Laser levels are good but, if you can find out if the worktop itself is level then it could be easier to use this as the level to work from. Are you putting seal strip between the worktop and wall first ?
If you find that the worktop isn't as level as you'd like it to be, then the best way to start the tiling is from the centre of the space and work outward to above and below. This would let you take up the varying gaps with cut tiles, rather than making the tiles run all at a skew off level because you followed the worktop or the wall units.
This site has a good few tips and tricks on it for tiling jobs. Worth a read through before you start.
http://www.tilemaster.ie/tips.html
--
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

tile parallel to the worktop rather than actually level. It depends what the other tile edges do. It's very often a quite subtle compromise getting things like tiles both reasonably level and looking sensible in relation to not-quite-level walls, floors and worksurfaces.
--
Chris Green

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote in message

In the event i decide on getting a laser level are there any recommendations out there. I have seen the small tape measure looking type for 40 or the tripod one for 50. What are the opinions of these please?
On 27 Jan 2004 03:49:19 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hsbc.com (Steve Barnes) wrote:

I have both.
I bought the tripod type with a spirit level mounted on it - the spirit level then had a laser device at the end. Worked fine. Cost about 20 as I recall.
So pleased was I with it that shortly after I treated myself to a rotating type - 29 in Focus DIY (and they are still around 29 as I recall).
Rotating type is better because you get a line around the whole room, very useful if you are putting up some form of ledge or want to mount pictures at the same height.
Go for it. Good investment IMHO. Either type is good.
PoP