Tiling to brick

I saw some posts a while back on here about tiling direct to brick being OK. Due to poor plaster in my bathroom I'm about to do this over easter. (And the extra inch gained in room size will help in small bathroom!)

Any pointers? I assume once I've removed existing plaster I can PVA the wall and then tile as normal?

Thanks in advance,

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

The internal brickwork, assuming it was built to be plastered, might not be very flat or even. Plaster can easily even out 1/4" or even up to 1/2" of unevenness, but tile adhesive can't. If you find it's like this, you could just put on a plaster scratch (base) coat and tile on that. Actually, I would consider a sand and cement scratch coat in this case as water penetration won't harm it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks Andrew, I'll see how flat the surface is when the plaster comes off.

Reply to
Alan