Tiling tips?

Hi all,

I'm about to do a full tile on a bathroom,,should i tile one wall at a time or run battens round all the walls and follow one line all around and build up row on row?

ta

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

In message , tarquinlinbin writes

Well you would want to follow the same level round the room, but I wouldn't tile all the way round one level at a time.

Put up the battens round the room Do one wall then, then another etc.

For getting the levels round the walls, I'd get one of the cheap laser levels/line generators

Reply to
chris French

Something like a laser level is useful for getting a datum line all round the room.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

One at a time!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Hi all,

I'm about to do a full tile on a bathroom,,should i tile one wall at a time or run battens round all the walls and follow one line all around and build up row on row?

ta apologies,have posted this b4 but i dont think it hit the server as i cant see it!!

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

It did arrive:

Rob Morley

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

around

One wall at a time I'd say. I think you'll find that professionals start at the centre of a wall, so that cut tiles at either end of a row are the same size. Paricularly relevant the larger the tile is. To start each wall, I'd use a batten to fix the level of the second row from the bottom - lasers don't support heavy tiles with wet tile cement under 'em!

Reply to
Homer2911

Something else which is forgotten all too easily is that the bottom row of tiles should NOT rest on the work surface or bath edge. Reason being that shrinkage and expansion of walls, worktops, baths, etc will cause the tiles and whatever they meet with to shunt against each other. In these circumstances it isn't unusual to have tiles come off the wall, or crack.

Leave a gap of a couple of mm, and use a silicon sealant to seal that gap.

Andrew

Please note that the email address used for posting usenet messages is configured such that my antispam filter will automatically update itself so that the senders email address is flagged as spam. If you do need to contact me please visit my web site and submit an enquiry -

Andrew McKay

In message , Homer2911 writes

Yes, but you want to avoid having thin strips at the ends if possible, measure, dry run etc. to check the best arrangement.

Well yes.

no, but it's an easy way of getting the level round the room to fix battens to.

Reply to
chris French