Tiling this weekend - Q re prep work

Hi all,

Could someone adive me please?

I'm going to tile my bathroom this weekend and was wondering how to prepare the walls:

1 wall was replastered in the summer, then painted with dulux bathroom paint. 1 wall have tiles that were over painted with std gloss paint.

Should I : scratch the bathroom painted wall to provide a key and then apply dilute pva over the bare plaster scratches, then scrape the paint off the existing tiles from the second wall?

Thanks!

Simon

Reply to
Simon

I'd remove the tiles entirely, but I know tiling over tiles is increasingly popular now. Sounds like asking for trouble to me, but I've not been tempted to try such a bodge.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Especially as the extra thickness creates problems at doorways etc. That said, some of those 30s tiles that were bedded in cement can be very difficult to get off

Reply to
Stuart Noble

It there is a shower in the bathroom and you are tiling that area, I would personally "TANK" the area. This provides a 100% waterproof barrier. You can buy the stuff from Screwfix. Have a look on a dedicated "tiling" forum, any tiler worth his salt would recommend it. Have a google on BAL WP1.

Reply to
Slider

Thanks for all of the replies so far -all good advice.

Could anyone offer advice about my specific query on how best to prepare the walls - does the paint need to come off the existing tiles that I will be tiling over and do I need to score and PVA the wall covered with Bathroom Plus paint? Thanks!

Simon

Reply to
Simon

Almost certainly your new tiles will stick to both paints. The question is whether the paint will stay stuck to the original surface. Try one and see if you can pull it off after 48 hours. Pva won't really achieve anything IMO, and scoring shouldn't be necessary if the paint is sound.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I think PVA is a defo no-no unless the tile adhesives says it can be done. Have a look on here, these guys WILL know the answer.

Slider

There isn't a definitive answer. Suck it and see. My hunch is that the tile adhesive would pull the paint off the tiles

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I updated a shower cubical by tiling over the existing which was in good condition. Only thing to note is the adhesive takes much longer to set fully. I'd say that's about the most demanding domestic situation.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Those are the walls where you do remove the original tiles.

Reply to
Peter Johnson