Tiling Shower Area - adhesive spreading and tile cutting problems

My Summer holiday job!
I have done small kitchen tiling jobs before with acceptable results but am struggling with tiling shower walls. I have read the FAQs info and have most of the job sussed out such as horizonal battons. Just 2 problems remain after doing a small trial area.
1) I need to use a 3mm solid bed adhesive (no voids) but seem to have problems in getting it anything like even. The walls are fairly recently professionally replastered so have gentle slight undulations rather than abrupt in and out if that is relevant. I am in danger of it looking like a grotty pub loo done by a drunken odd job man. I have thought of making a spreader with a very thin nib at each end to hold the spreader off the wall at the right sort of distance to create an even bed. With luck the adhesive will close up again after the nib has passed. Does anyone have any suggestions?
2) The tiles don't snap along score lines as tiles have in the past (although only about 6mm thick). I am thinking of seeing if I can hire an electric tile saw to do the straight cuts although I only have about 60 tiles to cut (an included window area does not help!) Are these hirable? Possible cost? Am I indulging in overkill?
Why don't I just stick to things I can do like wiring, plumbing and central heating!! No answers to that!
John

A tilers trowel would be the best thing to use on a larger area:
http://www.tradetiler.com/acatalog/index.html
Most of the items are cheap enough from any DIY Store.
--
BigWallop

http://basecuritysystems.no-ip.com
Thanks for idea & web link
Since I don't need the notched edge (can't use notched edge!) I could use my plastering float. Should give a more level finishe but still does not give me a guide to depth ...
John

Thanks for idea & web link
Since I don't need the notched edge (can't use notched edge!) I could use my plastering float. Should give a more level finishe but still does not give me a guide to depth ...
John

Thanks for idea & web link
Since I don't need the notched edge (can't use notched edge!) I could use my plastering float. Should give a more level finishe but still does not give me a guide to depth ...
John

If the walls are very uneven, level with bonding plaster or one coat using a straight edge - you don't need a perfect finish. Then use your notched trowel for an even layer of adhesive.
--
*If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried *

You can *buy* a Plastplugs electric diamond wheel cutter for around 30 quid in the sheds - and it's worth every penny.
--
*Why do they put Braille on the drive-through bank machines?

Somebody has a diamond cutting wheel on http://www.haveyougot.com to lend out. Might be worth checking out.
Rgds, Gary