Tiling question.

Tiling my bathroom just a "silly" question regarding cut tiles.

The main wall I've done with full tiles has a gap around the three edges that needs filling in. Do you cut strips off full tiles as in will the edges be ok when they are in and grouted? Obviously some would have no machined edge on them being from the middle of a tile. I have an electric tile cutter from Screwfix I used to help my dad do his kitchen floor but there were loads of off cuts with that job to use at the edges.

Sounds stupid just typing it but there you go... :-)

Mark S.

PS. picture at

it works...

Reply to
Mark S.

Are the gaps around the edges only the size of a third of the tile ? That's a bugger. The only thing I can suggest, is for you keep the centre bits for along the top edge or near the top of the walls so they wont be seen to readily. Also, when you come to grout, try not to press it in to hard at the unglazed edges so the grout actually covers them a bit more than a normal.

The link doesn't work, so I can't get a good look at the job.

Reply to
BigWallop

You don't use the middle bits of the tiles. You cut strips off the edge of a tile including a glazed edge. The glazed edge goes against, with grout spacer, the glazed edge of the first complete tile. The cut edge goes into the corner but don't make it too tight, allow a couple of mm gap. So you may be able to get 2 cut filling strips of tile from one complete tile, if you're lucky . The tile cutter you have is good for minimising tile wastage but does tend to slightly chip the surface of the glaze. In any event whatever you use to cut the tile its a no-no to have a cut edge anywhere except at the end or round an obstacle.

Reply to
BillR

Thought it might not - stupid Yahoo... :-)

They are about an inch/3cm wide, one wall needs leveling so there won't be a gap there but there's a gap on one edge and at the ceiling. Both about the same.

I don't mind using a full new tile if that's the proper way to do it ie. not a bodge. They are not that expensive, about a tenner a box so I'll be able to use both edges of each tile to get two strips from them so it won't be too bad. Best to do it right first time etc.

For my first wall tiling effort it looks acceptable to anyone a bit less fussy than me. Well those that have seen them said they were ok anyway. :-)

Thanks for the pointers.

Mark S.

Mark S.

first attempt Mark. :-)

If you can keep glazed edges together, then all the better, but if you do have to use a cut edge, then try to hide it in position that is not seen all that much.

Great job !!! Now get on with it and don't let me keep you back. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

In general, a portion cut from the middle of a tile will stand out, as the edges usually have a slight taper which is glazed, so can't be reproduced. Very wasteful if you need a lot of small bits.;-) The exceptions would be things like solid marble etc tiles where you can use any part - assuming you can cut a straight edge.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Hello Mark

Nope - if you want a good finish, you only cut two slivers from each tile, and discard the central section. Otherwise you do get exposed grain, unless you grout proud which looks just as bad.

Stick 'em so the cut edge is towards the wall you're finishing off against.

Reply to
Simon Avery