Tiling Qs

Hi

Planning to tile in this hot weather... no ac either. Anyway, any dos or donts for buying tiles, laying them (on uninsulated concrete) and adhesives etc would be welcome. Adhesive and grout is a particular issue as it may be constantly wet and I want the floor to last a very very long time, and I dont know what to choose to ensure it lasts well.

Still cant decide on large or small tiles either.

cheers, NT

Reply to
meow2222

I've got a bit of a thing for BAL tile adhesive and grout - seems to work just fine for me - and the tiler that did our floor while I was away used it too and swore by it.

Floor - large tiles - makes the room look bigger.

Cheers Dna.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

I also recommend the use of BAL products. If you take a look at their website

you will find a product selector which should help you choose the correct adhesive and grout based upon the surface to be tiled and the type of tile. If you're surface is going to be constantly wet you may want to look at adhesive / grout suitable for pools. Also a call to BAL technical may be useful as they will tell you exactly what you need to buy.

I'm sure there are other good adhesives around, but I can only personally recommend BAL

If you are tiling in very hot weather you may wish to avoid rapid-set adhesive as it will probably go off in seconds! And, don't even think about using tub stuff!

Reply to
Andy

Agreed on the rapid set - but I've been using the pre-mixed stuff in tubs in this heat and it's been superb. Beats f**king around mixing the powder :)

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

Yes, mixing the powered stuff can be a pain, but the original poster was talking about laying floor tiles and I wouldn''t personally use any tub stuff on a floor....but others may disagree...

Reply to
Andy

Thanks to everyone, I'm now reading up at the bal site.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Nyaaah - my bad - agreed - powdered for floors.

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

What a lousy website. The pdf selection guides are no use at all, as every point on the grid has a coloured dot and there is no key to what the colours mean!

The pdf tiling guide has so many blue triangles all over it that half of it is unreadable. And from reading everything I still dont see them recommending anything specific for a floor thats wet more often than dry and will have low level ufh.

Are there any other sources with sensibly presented info?

ta, NT

Reply to
meow2222

I'd use the phone? Call them - they were great last time I had to speak to them...

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon