Tiling over plasterboard

Hi,

Currently re-arranging my bathroom and will need to tile over some new plasterboard around the bath.

Would I be correct in saying that it would be better to use "Aquapanel" in potentially wet areas or is it OK to PVA normal plasterboard?

Not sure how much the aquapanel costs but only have an area the length and width of a bath?

Thanks

Andy

Reply to
Andy

For wet areas (i.e. in range of showers) use aquapanel or rendered WPB ply. Fo other less critical areas you can give plasterboard a coat of PVA and tile straight on to it.

Reply to
John Rumm

If the bath is used as a shower, aquapanel might be a good idea but, if it means putting it over existing PB and raising the level around the bath, I wouldn't bother. IIRC it only comes in 4ft square size (which is about all you can lift easily). Focus do it I think

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I have simply tioled over plasterboard straihght, and have showered regularly dowsing teh tiles ever since.

After a year its still spot on perfect.

Only in the case where water can collect and permeate through grout and into the plaster, and fester there, is there an issue, I feel.

Use a decent waterproofish tile cement - I used Evostik something or other

- and possibly maix PVA or other additive to the grout to render it if not waterPROOF at least relatively impermeable.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think use aquapanel if not tiling.

But the reasons one uses tiles is because they are - er - waterproof.

Two waterproof layers don't really keep out more water than one, in my experience..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Absolutely, but if the 'top' layer fails or develops a leak for any reason, at least the underlying aquapanel stays intact and doesn't collapse like plasterboard does. I also feel aquapanel is inherently best in this application because it's really rigid, and has much less tendency to flex than plasterboard (thereby cracking the adhesive joint).

It's a 'belt and braces' approach I suppose; but for the small extra cost I personally feel it's worthwhile.

David

Reply to
Lobster