Tiling onto platerboard - primer?

I don't normally bother using primer and would just fix the tiles to the dry plasterboard but i'm going all the way to the ceiling with 400x250mm tiles. Will there be any benefit to priming first?

I'm using a bagged adhesive in case that makes any difference.

Reply to
R D S

prime with what? PVA is outlawed as it tends to "undry" when it gets wet

I didn't bother with anything for a whole bathroom with "almost to ceiling" same size tiles as yours - 3 years on no bother at all. also same on bare ply - no bother.

ISTR I scored surfaces with a stanley knife to give an extra key for the adhesive to grab onto.

I used a cementitious powder adhesive

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

'A substrate primer and adhesive additive'.

I'm tempted to not bother as I want to crack on with the job without waiting for it to dry. But the tilemonger recommended I mix it in with the adhesive so i will have spare.

Reply to
R D S

All I can say is that our builders tiled up to the ceiling on plasterboard without using primer. Can't see what difference it makes if you go up 3 feet or 30 feet as long as the plasterboard is fixed normally. The tile load per area of board and screws should be the same.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

mmm sounds like a selling pitch? why would you want a flexible additive on a wall? a floor maybe but a wall??

If wall flexes then maybe but seems OTT to me?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Tile adhesives are designed to cope with pretty much any type of surface. Plasterboard is pretty close to an ideal surface I would have thought.

Reply to
stuart noble

No.

Good man. Although I've used Evostik waterproof with excellent results.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I bought it with some glass tiles that needed a solid bed, to mix with the adhesive. It seems reasonable that it would help with this.

The instructions with it had got me wondering if priming was the done thing, a bit of Googling suggests that many do and many don't. So i'll not bother!

Reply to
R D S