tiling onto plasterboard

I'm quite happy to plaster straight onto plasterboard. However the missus is giving me earache and in order to appease her I did a bit of googling and can't get a straight answer.

It's around the shower, so the tiles will be getting wet, but it should be dry behind them, no?

Any advice appreciated.

Reply to
R D S

I've frequently tiled onto plasterboard, but I'd never install plasterboard if I was expecting it to be tiled afterwards and wet. For a bath surround I'd leave it, but for a shower (or shower/bath) I might well replace it with a waterproof board.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

yes. Done loads of it this way. But one tip. seal the tray to the PLASTERBOARD with silicone FIRST and then tile down to the tray and GROUT the last row.

This looks better and even if the grout cracks due to flexing its still OK as the silicone is behind,.

waterproof grouts - i.e proper cement setting types are best as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

There is a special water resistant grade of plasterboard for around/ inside showers etc. Ask at you builders merchant. Or you should have used fibre cement board, totally water proof.

If you don't, at some point in the future,water will get behind the tiles and bugger things up.

Reply to
harry

Oh another thing. You can get a plastic angle about 20mm x 20mm that goes on top of the shower tray and behind the tiles. Brilliant stuff. Looks neat and keeps water from running down behind the tray. Some needs silcon gunge, some doesn't, read instructions.

Reply to
harry

Well, our builders are tiling straight onto plasterboard around the shower bath and in the wetroom. So hopefully some of the dire warnings posted here will turn out not to be universally applicable! They have done loads of bathrooms, and seem generally extremely competent so we queried them on this then decided to trust them.

For the wetroom we have a special tiling trim where the vinyl flooring tucks under the plastic rim, so hopefully all will be watertight.

Cheers

Dave R.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Only if you do a crap job of sealing any units and tiling.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

When I did this, I used plasterboard, very well supported (battens closer than standard), and applied an Artex plasterboard seal. As it happened, there was a long gap in time before tiling. And that thin seal layer did very well at protecting the board against any apparent damage despite obvious splashing. Now fully tiled and seems still to be fine.

Reply to
polygonum