tiling onto plasterboard?

Is it ok to tile directly onto new plasterboard?

ta

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

Had my freshly plasterboarded kitchen fully tiled at least fifteen years ago. No problems whatsoever. Nice flat surface to work with too. Glad I chose plain neutral-coloured tiles. They'll outlast me.

HTH

Reply to
SmileyFace

Yes. No problem at all. Don't assume the plasterboard will survive the tile's removal, though, although it might.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

If the tiles are going to get routinely wet, as in a shower, then you might want to worry about water coming through the grout which may warp the plasterboard eventually. There are several things you can do about this... o Use aquapanel (cement rather than gypsom based board which won't fall to bits if it gets wet). o I recall reading on a bag of tile adhesive that there's some type of waterproof tanking you can apply to the plasterboard first. o Use a grout additive such as BAL Admix GT1 to reduce the grout permeability. o Use a water penetrating resistant grout, such as a resin one.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Wel, I painted mine first with a light wash of emulsion [and allowed to dry ;-)] before tiling.

I thought it would the porosity "problems" of the board.

Cheers

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

Wel, I painted mine first with a light wash of emulsion [and allowed to dry ;-)] before tiling.

I thought it help alleviate the porosity "problems" of the board.

Sorry for the previous trigger happy post

Cheers

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

Makes very little difference.

PVA is better - it is water RESISTANT in that it fills the pores with its own (water soluble) polymer.

Frankly however, unless you have a permanent puddle, tiles straight onto fresh plasterboard work just fine.

The grout dries faster than the water permeates backwards

All my bathrooms are simply his, and all take a good splashing with no ill effects.

The only places I have had problems are where permanent small drips/leaks have kept an area wet for weeks on end.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

yes,this is my problem Chris. I stripped some grotty tiles off a previously plasterboarded wall. It was a mix of bare plasterboard with ok bits and ripped bits but also the original house construction used plasterboard then a kind of smooth seemingly waterproof lining paper was put on top of the board. This is all over the house. In the bathroom,after tile removal,this has bits ripped off here and there also. A plasterer quoted to skim the lot. Luckliy i didnt take him up on it. I tried to skim a small area and found that small sections of the lining paper started to bubble off. I'm now going to rip the old board off and reboard it..hence my original questions!! Thanks for the info..

Reply to
tarquinlinbin