Tiling directly onto plasterboard?

Can wall tiles be attached directly to plasterboard that has been sealed with dilute PVA? Or does the plasterboard need a skim of plaster first?

Reply to
David in Normandy

Straight onto untreated plasterboard worked fine for my bathroom a few years ago.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Direct to plasterboard is fine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You dont even need to seal the board first.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

David in Normandy coughed up some electrons that declared:

Yes - but beware if leaks if this is a bath or shower area.

Seem lots of wall that are tiled direct - but the one in our shower dropped its grout (it does help if the "tiler" uses tile spaces, not tries to grout hairline gaps between abutted tiles). The result was total plasterboard disintegration, in which case using a waterproof board is a better idea.

Once again - Crest Homes are crap (my rented house), Barratts are bollocks (tautology) - anymore?

Everywhere else, like kitchen and basin surrounds have been fine.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Tim S coughed up some electrons that declared:

Please ecuse typing - keyboard knackered.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Reply to
Tim S

If water is getting past the tiles for whatever reason it might end up anywhere even with waterproof board on the walls.

A mate has a Barretts house - about 25 years old. 'Twas the show house too. All the windows have had to be replacing. And the external doors. Best was the tiling in the kitchen round the boiler - you couldn't remove the boiler casing for servicing. And then there was the plain chipboard floors everywhere - on the ground floor laid over polystyrene sheet. Just the thing to resist water spills in the kitchen. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes.

Bellway are bell ends. Wimpy are w*nk*rs. Redrow are rot. Persimmon are parsimonious. (Bite me)

Reply to
Schrodinger's cat