Tiling directly onto bricks

I have a bathroom which has been created in a room which wasn`t previously plastered (was dry lined with tongue & groove planks). One wall is old brickwork (partly painted white with a chalky type substance) and the other is breezeblock also painted white. Question is, can I tile directly onto this or would the bare walls/mortar/ paint etc adversely affect the adhesive? If not, I can always get the walls plastered...it will probably make life easier tiling anyway!
John
If the walls are smooth enough it should not be a problem except the white chalky subsatance which is almost certainly whitewash Wash it of with plenty of water to remove most of it then coat in PVA