Tiling an uneven wall in the en-suite.........

Hi there

Can anyone suggest how I should proceed with regards to attempting to tile an uneven bathroom wall. It is about 25mm out from right to left and about the same top to bottom.

I am using 30.5x30.5cm marble tiles which are quite heavy and I know ideally the wall should be reskimmed but I was hoping I'd get away with spot fixing.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
jjavanda

Frankly, I'd line it with some thin ply first.

Or nail some shaped battens on the wall and glob plaster in between using them as a guide to get it flat. Smooth is not required but flat and even is.

I wouldn't dot and dab on tiles if I were you. Grout will either disperse into the gap behind, or crack and fall out.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

or dob and dab a piece of plasterboard up on the wall first. No need to skim it tile straight on it.

Reply to
simon beer

If you want an attractive finish, as the nice tiles suggest, you should replaster or something to get the walls plumb. Tiles getting narrower or worse still thin strips added or the grout getting wider as you look up or down a corner looks very poor!

Reply to
basil

I wouldn't, in a bathroom. You want to ensure there's maximum stiction between the tile and wall in a "wet" area. Flop the tile against the wall, and it should be near impossible to pull the tile off without prising the edge up with a scraper.

Spot fixing will not give you the same adhesion.

I wouldn't try to true up the wall too much. If the tiles are applied correctly than wall trueness can be largely hidden by starting tiling in the corner opposite the door, where the eye line normally rests on going in.

You can lose a lot of the cut tile edges into the corners you 'can't see' from the doorway.

25 mm top to bottom can be 'hidden' if you tile cut on the edge of nearly full tiles and don't infill with obvious "narrow" pieces

Cheers,

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy