Tiling

Any tips or lessons learned on tiling around and into a window recess in a bathroom?

Reply to
John

Mitred tile trim is the only neat way. You may need masking tape to hold it in place if your corners aren't perfectly square

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Is that the stuff that has a radius and an edge that sticks under a row of tiles? If so, I have bought some - is it best to put it under the wall tiles - or the window recess tiles?

Reply to
John

It isn't the only way. You can also overlap the insides with the wall. Make sure the cut edges are not visible tho. If they are natural stone or edge glazed this is very effective.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Probably but there are different types...

I've just done a recess with it under the recces tiles. This is so that the face is flat. I had thin tiles and they fitted into the trim, leaving a step. I felt that the action of wiping the walls down could snag on this step and also force muck into the corner between tile and trim. With the step facing into the recess if muck does accumulate your less likely to see it and wiping is likely to be less vigourous across the trim being more up/down.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's the stuff. I don't think it matters which way the flat bit goes as long as all 4 are the same. You're effectively framing the window opening so nice tight mitres are the priority, even if you have to use a bit more grout to make that possible

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I am about to experiment with cutting the tiles with a 45 degree edge, so that they mitre together instead of showing a square edge.

I am a bit wary about creating sharp edges, but a combination of fine abrasive paper and grout should hopefully do the trick.

We shall see ;-)

Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

| |I am about to experiment with cutting the tiles with a 45 degree edge, so |that they mitre together instead of showing a square edge. | |I am a bit wary about creating sharp edges, but a combination of fine |abrasive paper and grout should hopefully do the trick. | |We shall see ;-)

I really would not wish to fall against such an edge.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Use the window as the 'centre' for the tiling on that wall. It's also sometimes easier to adjust the ledge height and the position of the reveals etc to avoid needing tiny strips of tiles. Purpose made beading for the corners can look good especially in a contrasting colour - like say chrome. Other thing to consider is, say, a hardwood sill if the window features heavily.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Its not bad of you use abrasives to blend it off. It chips easily though. I prefer to overlap.. I hate edgings. Muck collectors and ugly.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That "experiment" has been done before. If the walls are perfectly flat, and the mitres 100% perfect, it will be a razor edge. If not, it'll be jagged AND look a mess. Plastic edging is a godsend round windows because it allows you to correct discrepancies and create straightness

Reply to
Stuart Noble

You could build up with adhesive or cement/sand so that there is no step. Also, I make sure the concave section of the trim is mostly filled in with tile adhesive, since you see a lot of bathrooms where the grout around the trim has caved in, presumably since there was empty space left in there. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Or get the right size trim :-)