Tililng onto chip

Hi

I've had some problems tiling onto chipboard. I'm using white cement adhesive & grout. Problem is the chip swells, presumably due to absorbing water from the wet cement, ruining the job. I cant see how one could stick the tiles down without using something wet. And even if I sealed the chip first, the water all has to go somewhere... and I could only seal under that tile, not the lot.

So how do I do this one?

Thanks, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Remove chipboard. Replace with waterproof backing of some sort.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

If you can, then prime the chip with neat PVA first and let it dry. Also try using a standalone adhesive rather than a "fix 'n' grout" since these can be a bit on the wet side.

Reply to
John Rumm

I used a few tubes of silicone sealant, keeping it away from the edges and grouting as normal.

Chris

Reply to
Kris

thanks for that Lee. In this case it has to go on quite thick though... I'll try silicone and sand, the sand to increase rigidity.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton