Tiles - Bumpy or Flat

I am considering tiling my downstairs toilet (or to be more accurate SWMBO is insisting). I have used Bumpy tiles before on a bathroom with rather poor walls and I was pleased with the result. For this job, the walls are very good - so - any pros or cons on Flat or Bumpy tiles in the smallest room? Which should be the most visually pleasing?

Reply to
John

John wibbled on Friday 16 July 2010 15:10

Are you thinking flat with bevel or dead flat and square edged like marble?

Reply to
Tim Watts

This is a very subjective judgment, and is also influenced by fashion. Predicting what will best please SWMBO is above my pay grade ;-)

When looking around for our bathroom about 5 years ago, everybody wanted to sell us high gloss bumpy white, which was not what we wanted.

We persevered and eventually found a flat matt finish (Johnson Tundra) which worked very well for us.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I hadn't got that far.

Reply to
John

A matter of taste. Personally, I hate bumpy tiles. They go along with artex ceilings in my book. In a small room, very busy fiddly decoration can be annoying. No offence ;-) Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

John wibbled on Friday 16 July 2010 17:29

Well, I would say flat with bevel is OK for the average DIYer as there's still a little latitude for error. Dead flat square edged tiles will be somewhat harder in that you must get them laid perfectly so all edges line up otherwise the result looks crap (recalling a restaurant where there were such errors in the gents WC and it looked crap).

I personally would never attempt square edged tiles - but with bevelled edges I have managed pretty decent results.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Just the sort of response I was after - have bumpy tiles had their day?

Reply to
John

John wibbled on Friday 16 July 2010 19:15

I totally disagree. Mine look cool, and add interest to an otherwise large expanse of wall - but the "bumpiness" is very subtle - no more than 1/2mm and very random.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Subjective indeed. I once went to visit my mum and dad and was impressed with the newly fully tiled green bathroom. Next weekend I visited, it was brown! I'd nominate my dad for sainthood I think :-)

Spamlet

That probably goes for the 'holey' travertine ones too. SWMBO has them in her shower, and I'm staying right clear of the cleaning thereof! (One good thing about them though was them coming already spaced out on a backing cloth, making the easier to work with. - not by me though: never had the confidence.)

Spamlet

Depends where you have them I suppose: on the kitchen walls they gather greasy dust and are difficult to get clean (and on the kitchen floor they are both dirty and mostly broken thanks to a raised floor which wasn't firm enough - discussed previously).

Spamlet