tile grout question

Hi chaps

I'm having a new kitchen and the existing tiles are fine for colour etc but they have black grouting which makes them look a bit outdated.

How much of a job is re-grouting with perhaps a cream coloured grout? Is there a danger of wrecking the existing tiles (I can't find any matching ones and I only have about 8 spares)

Could I cheat and use a tile grout whitener over the top followed by re-sealing?

I don't really want to have to re-tile the whole area as this would considerably add to the cost of the project.

What does the team think of painting the tiles ?

advice and suggestions please.

thanks in advance.

dedics

ps the first person to suggest using an angle grinder was hubby!

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic

A huge and laborious task is to use a stanley knife to hack the grout out enough to give you a fillable channel. another tool would be a large hacksaw blade broken in half so that the teeth will act as a scraper,these are about as wide as a grout channel.

Reply to
George

Why do people do it the hard way. I use a bradawl, run it back and forth a few times a second, increasing the pressure until the grout starts breaking up. Never pick and pull with it. The point concentrates enough pressure to break the grout up without putting too much force on for the tiles. Degrouts tiles in seconds. If the odd tile comes loose its restickable.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Hardway! I was going to suggest buying a cheapo dremel drill and use the course disc's in it and that would have made it a doddle,alas it makes a mess though.

Is that easier enough?

Reply to
George

A grout rake, or even an old bradawl, can be quite effective but, if the grout hangs on to the glazed part of the tile edge, it will always show through the cream. Sometimes it only bonds well to the unglazed bit, so you might get lucky. A labour of love though, and almost certainly quicker to re-tile the whole thing. IMO painted tiles generally look awful because the texture is all wrong and they no longer look like tiles. I've seen some nice effects with tile transfers though If this is hubby's cunning plan to justify a Fein Multimaster with 100 attachments, don't be fooled.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I'm fairly sure I have a grout remover attachment for my Dremel somewhere. Never used it, so I can't comment on how well it works!

Reply to
Pyriform

It can be done quickly, easily and safely with a Fein Multimaster.

Painting tiles is not a good option

Reply to
Andy Hall

Painfully slow & piggin expensive when the bit snaps halfway through the first job. BTDTGTTS.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I have a tile blade for my Bosch PMF180, but its too thick for the grouting on wall tiles. Do Fein do a thinner one then?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Not quite catchy enough for an advertising slogan.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Presumably. I worked for me OK.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I prefer to use things that work and get jobs done. That doesn't need any advertising.

Reply to
Andy Hall

You'll never make a Mad Man with copy like that

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I dont see how thats going to get the grout off the tiles, would just cut a slot. And it sounds extremely slow - though I've not tried it. Its also a good way to damage the tiles I would think.

I wont repeat my question :) People seem to want to do anything but a quick effective option. But I would suggest the whole idea is a lot of work for not a lot of result.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

No need. There are enough around me.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Depends on the tile spacing really. The carbide segment saw:

thin enough to get in to a tile spacer width grout line:

if you have very closely spaced tiles then you may be able to use a scrap HSS plunge cut steel blade. You can nick the edge from time to time to provide new "teeth".

Reply to
John Rumm

Anyway, I've seen the aquamix products has anyone got any experience of this?

I guess painting is out cause it will look naff, but maybe a re-coloured grout surface will spruce them up a bit, also a good clean-up to get rid of the grease first!

Thanks for the suggestions.

The fein tool looks wonderful but expensive, Is the bosch multitool as good?

dedics

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic

I've just come back from Aldi and they had a few Multi tool drills at £15, would be worth paying a visit to your local branch?

Reply to
George

Not easy to hide black though

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I have a Bosch & it does everything I want it to. Don't have a Fein so I can't compare.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman