Tile Edging ...

I'm refitting my bathroom, and am currently doing the tiling. I have bought some of that 'quadrant' edging strip that has a wide straight edge to go under a tile, to handle the right angles on external corners at the window recess, and on one other vertical edge that goes from floor to ceiling. I've never actually used this stuff before, and I can't make up my mind whether it gives a neater finish if the 'fixing' edge is secured under the tiles which face into the window, and the tiles on the wall are then taken up to the quadrant, or the other way about. Or does it even make a difference ? What is the convention on this. Also, on the tile that butts up to the quadrant, is it usual to come right up against the strip, or to leave a normal sized grouting gap ? Hope that makes sense ... :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

That's the way I do it. Looks better to me - but makes cutting the mitres more tricky. I used the polished ally stuff as none of the plastic ones were close enough colour wise to my tiles. It's very expensive but does look good.

The same gap as between the tiles, IMHO.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Also, don't try and butt the mitres up against each other, leave a gap and grout it. Makes the plastic quadrant look more tile-like, is easier to fit, and avoids horrible tiny recesses that cannot be cleaned. Make sure the grout is pushed right into the "open" side of the quadrant. I've seen many jobs where a thin floating layer of grout in the quadrant open side is cracking and falling out. HTH, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Having had the same dilemma myself, I think I've come to the conclusion that it makes no difference. Put it this way, looking at my finished bathroom windowsill I can't tell which way I did it (and can't remember either!)

David

Reply to
Lobster

The stuff I've used isn't a perfect quadrant so you can tell if you look closely. But IIRC there are different types of this edging depending on tile thickness - and mine is for the thicker ones. The stuff for 'ordinary' wall tiles might be better.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, I have the polished ally as well, but actually very cheap from a local tile supplier that I have just discovered, as were the tiles themselves, which are big mothers (2' x 1') and his gigantic tubs of tile cement, which is the best I've ever used.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Also, don't try and butt the mitres up against each other, leave a gap and grout it. Makes the plastic quadrant look more tile-like, is easier to fit, and avoids horrible tiny recesses that cannot be cleaned. Make sure the grout is pushed right into the "open" side of the quadrant. I've seen many jobs where a thin floating layer of grout in the quadrant open side is cracking and falling out. HTH, Simon.

Understood, and good advice Simon. Thanks.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Thanks for the input ! :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Yes, likewise. These tiles are 10mm thick. They are a killer to get up the stairs from the car at 26kg for a pack of 8 ! They are actually made in China by the looks of it, and the quality is nothing short of superb. So far, I haven't had a single one come out of the box chipped or damaged in any way. The only thing separating them in the box, is a thin piece of expanded polystyrene 'paper'. Considering the price that he is doing the 'plain' polished limestone (effect) tile for (£15.99 / sq m), it makes you wonder how they can make them, ship them that vast distance, import them, wholesale them and finally retail them, and still all make a profit !

In case anyone has a local branch, the outfit is called Al Murad, and based on my experience, I would recommend them to anyone. Very helpful and knowledgable, and very efficient at getting stuff in for you. Huge range of catalogues, and they can get you pretty much anything you might want from them.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Seconded