Tile edge tooling

Hi all. I'm going to have to use a large floor tile for a wall application. The size I will have to use is probably

600mm x 600mm. This tile size is typically 15mm thick at least and will not sit very well where they will meet existing wall tiles of 8mm thicknes. So I'm looking for a tile type that I could chamfer down to a 8mm thickness.

Is this feasible?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
51

You could chamfer down the back and upper and lower edges, leaving the front intact. You would have to grind the back down carefully to ensure it did not crack/splinter etc. I guess marble would do it OK. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I have to chamfer the front face down toward the back edge so that floor tile will go edge to edge with a wall tile without stepping. I'm looking for a tile that has a design pattern that is not on the surface of the tile so that I don't reveal a white background when I chamfer it.

Arthur

Reply to
51

Or a red one..

well only natural stone has in intrinsic pattern. Tiles are all glazed with patterns in the glaze - apart from unglazed tiles which are usually terracotta colored only. e.g. 'quarry tiles'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, but only on a natural stone or marble tile. The better tile shops and the granite worktop suppliers usually have the tooling to do this sort of cutting and polishing.

Reply to
John Rumm