Tightening Essex Flange

Hello All, Does anyone know where I can buy a 1 7/8" box spanner?

I've recently purchased an Essex Flange for my hot water tank. I've drilled the hole, fitted the flange (using soft wire supplied). My problem is tightening the nut; I don't want to remove the insulation from the side of the tank just to get an adjustable spanner around it.

Before anyone asks I've not gone for a Surrey Flange because Salamander voids the pump warranty if it's mounted in the loft and you don't use an Essex Flange. Stuart Turner also recommends an Essex Flange.

Thanks in advance. Martin.

Reply to
Martin

Haven't I seen this post before? Presumably you didn't get any replies first time around.

Can't tell you for sure, but I would start with the Plumbers Merchant who sold you the flange and, if no joy there, go on to a tool hire shop such as HSS. If you'll only ever want it once, it will probably be cheaper to hire it. But they do sell tools too.

Reply to
Set Square

Correct no replys first time, thanks for yours.

I've tried the plumber merchant, HSS, Ernest Dow, and various other stores, One store did have a socket that would fit but wanted £27 for it. At bit too much for a one off. Also called Essex the manufacture of the flange, no joy. I'm thinking I might have to make something.

Reply to
Martin

You might find that you can get sufficient torque either by using a pair of Screwfix 16" waterpump pliers on the nut, or by looking round for a toolmakers clamp. IIRC the Essex flange is sealed with a rubber? washer on the inside of the tank, so the actual torque on the fitting is not that great. Hope this helps. Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Thanks I will try something similar this weekend. Yes your correct an Essex flange is sealed with two thick rubbers washers, one on the inside the other on the outside of the tank. I thought the hardest task was going to be drilling the hole - that turned out to be quite simple, it was touch and go as to whether I was going to drop the copper disc in the tank though.

Thanks.

Reply to
Martin