Tigerloop to save wear and tear on pump?

Hi All,

I have contacted a few companies to get quotes for replacing our oil tank ( i'd have liked to DIY, but there are too many other projects demanding my i mmediate attention), and one of the companies is going to send a little man out to do a survey, but prior to the survey he's suggested it might be wor th fitting a tigerloop as even though the installation doesn't need one (HR M Wallstar about 4' above (ground level) tank outlet) it would save the pum p having to work so hard.

I had a quick look at a couple of sites with details of the Tigerloop, and they seem to have added a lot of what smacks of greenwash to their marketin g in recent years.

Does the team think it's worth installing one, either to save wear & tear o n the pump? Or to save a little fuel / lower emissions?

TIA

Chris

Reply to
cpvh

How old is the boiler? How often has the pump been replaced? What is the pump spec in regards oil lift? How long and how big is the feed line? Many elbows etc.

I think the old adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it" applies, depending a on the answers to the above questions.

Can't see how it's going to do either of those. Fuel consumption is basically down to jet size and oil pressure. Emissions down to quality of oil and how much air is let in. Pressure and air should be both adjusted to produce the best burn, I fail to see how inlet pressure can affect those settings. The pump, in single pipe mode, will be circulating the oil within itself via the bypass.

This seems a reasonable and clear explantion of why tiger loops might be required (once you get past the first couple of paras):

Certainly when we get a delivery of oil the level in the sight tube drops by about a cm in the 24 hours afterwards then remains stable. I put this down to air in the fuel that settles out.

The 4' lift you have with an empty tank is about 0.13 bar of pressure reduction. That's tiny I doubt that little pressure reduction will release much dissovled air. Note the empty tank, with it full you may have positive pressure at the pump or be very close.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Waste of money.

Reply to
Huge

Your suppliers presumably sell you oil by volume. Is it in their interests to include some air in the oil deliberately?

Reply to
GB

stable. I

1 cm equates to about 25 l. But most of it will get entrained during the stiring up that occurs when the fuel falls the best part of 3' from the fill cap to the bottom of the almost empty tank. Fill rate is proably in the order of 400 l/min...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

+1
Reply to
harryagain

I suspect that the pump wear will relate to the number of revolutions which will be the same.

Reply to
Michael Chare

If there is large lift and/or a long bendy/constricted pipe run there is some risk of cavitation in the pump. You don't want that as it will damage the pump.

I'm struggling to work out how a tigerloop would stop cavitation, the only thing lifting/pulling the oil is the pump. AIUI a tigerloop removes actual bubbles but cavitation is caused by the low pressure on the pump parts releasing dissolved gases, when the pressure goes back up the gas redissolves...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice