ticking CFL bulb

"correct"? the loop-in method you mention first is perfectly correct and probably the norm in the UK.

Sounds like a goof way to trip the RCD if the house has one fitted.

What result would you expect using an analogue multimeter? What result with a digital one?

Reply to
Andy Burns

The test meters should have a high enough impedance to not draw enough current to trip the RCD but stranger things have happened. Digital meters usually have a higher impedance causing even less of a problem.

With the switch turned off the wire coming from the switch, normally the center conductor in a screw in light fitting should read zero to earth.

With an analog meter you might see a small voltage that leaks down to zero in a very short time due to capacitance build up in the wires. Digital meters usually just fluctuate while any residual voltage bleeds off and then shows zero.

The other conductor on the light fitting "should" read the same but if a bad connection to earth exists at the mains box, or where ever your system is connected to earth, you may read total line voltage on down to zero. In a perfect installation a zero voltage reading expected but a couple of volts seems to be more common in the older installations due to corrosion and such. The higher the voltage the better chance something is wrong with the grounding of the circuits.

When in doubt have a professional come in and check things, for peace of mind if nothing else.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

replying to Brian Gaff, Tiltera wrote: Years later, here I am following your discussion with the same problem. Solution seems to be the switch turning off - (neytral) instead of + (live). Change the wiring to the opposite and problem solved.

Reply to
Tiltera

Not sure I still have the bulb now! Mind you, I've still got the memory of that cfl that melted its glue and the actual tupe fell out while I was out. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)