Thunderbird Virginmedia

stuart noble

All groups, or just one or two?

If the latter, right click, properties, "repair folder" on the affected ones(s)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks Andy. It's all the groups but I'll try the repair option anyway

Reply to
stuart noble

If you want just text groups, why not use a different server like Eternal September or similar. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It may come to that, but Virgin is the devil I know :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

My TB/VM combo is doing it fine here... David

Reply to
Lobster

are you downloading again or just ereading again?

If you want read messages to 'disappear' use the view->threads->unread option

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, that is my default view. I'm still getting the odd few messages from 10th April with a "no such message" message if I click on them

Reply to
stuart noble

well your history file will eventually catch up. Or virgins will.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sounds like something has gone wrong with the message indexing... not uncommon on BM by many accounts

Reply to
John Rumm

Not unheard of from TB either, if messages have been cancelled between header collection and body download, when it does happen TB gives you a link to clear out all non-existant messages

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yup, that will also happen on very old messages that have been recently expired on the server.

Reply to
John Rumm

I got pissed off with Virgin newsgroups not working a few months ago so I tried Eternal September. It is free and it always seems to work. I am crap with computers and had to play with the settings. No big deal. Just find out the settings to change before you do it. Brian will know. You can always go back to Virgin.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I'll give them another couple of days........... :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

Okay. There are only a couple of settings to change anyway. I have them written down :-)

Reply to
Mr Pounder

The good thing with Thunderbird is that you can have both news servers entered into it. That way you can use which ever one is working for you at that time.

I also grab a couple of the same groups from multiple news servers just to be able to compare the servers for message completeness. It's a little extra bandwidth downloading the same couple of groups twice but I can see right away which server or it's feeds are having problems.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

VM has just spewed out another load of "no such article" stuff from April 10th. I might just try your suggestion tomorrow.

Reply to
stuart noble