Throttle body widget

Hi All,

The remains of my poor old Corsa 1.0 (3 cylinder Ecotec) is/are poorly. The engine is running really rough at low revs, though it drives fine at high revs, as soon as you ease back on the gas, the power drops dramatically. A friendly garage checked the computer and it had an error code showing, I forget the number, but it translated to

"throttle position sensor low voltage".

The garage owner Googled that, and suggested I get a second hand throttle body and he'd fit it and that would PROBABLY fix the problem.

I had a quick Google myself, and haven't seen anything that says anyone has fixed the fault that way, but did see a suggestion that it's often bad earth or dirty contacts.

I had a look at the throttle body and it has a potentiometer type widget on the back (furthest away from the radiator grille) which is actuated by the rod that runs through the throttle butterfly, and another electronic thingie which just seems to be actuated at very low revs and has a spring on it (some kind of damper?)

I took the first item off and examined it, couldn't see any phsical damage, put it back on and sprayed some silicon spray into the connector contacts. Also did the same with the contacts for the other item.

Net result......... The car doesn't run any worse :=((

Does anyone know:

  1. if the electronic items are likely to be avail separately, either from Vauxhall, or someone who sells Bosch stuff?

  1. Which of the items is the most likely culprit?

  2. If I am barking up completely the wrong tree and can se me straight?

Come back carbies all is forgiven!

Chris

Reply to
cpvh

The spring loaded thing maybe the idle control valve (think slow running control on a real carb) The throttle potentiometer is telling the engine management computer how far the throttle is open. If the engine is pulling well and not drinking fuel, the throttle position pot. it probably working.

Poor slow running can be air leaks round the butterfly control rod - just like a worn carb will do. Take the throttle body off and clean it with carb cleaner and check if the butterfly seals properly and there is no play in the shaft seals.

If so do as the man says and fit a new (different) body

As for which parts are available - talk to your vauxhall agent - you don't have to buy the parts there.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin