Three quarters of women think they are as good as men at DIY

Oh don't be naive. Its mostly the bit between the legs for younger women.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

ISTR I was the only one in the house with a sewing kit, or the knowledge of how to use it.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

My mother could use a sewing machine, but I was the one who had to thread it.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

No, that's what we think of three quarters of the time.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I was always given the job of filling and fitting the bobbin in the shuttle.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Gawd, bobbins. I spent hours of my childhood sitting, turning the handle on the old Singer and pretending to be an electric motor.

I was also allowed to 'help' my father by sitting on things while they were sawed so they didn't move.

I think I'm grateful we never had a coal fire.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

We did. One of my jobs was to sift the ashes for any unburnt bits.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I got snapped repairing a tear in a pocket:

sewing is just basic life skills, like being able to cook or wipe your arse.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Nice jumper mate:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Mine could thread it and use it, but it was me who worked out how to do freehand embroidery with it ;-)

(i.e. how to disable the cloth push mechanism under the foot by moving the leaver someone had told mother never to move!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Did you also have to cut up squares of newspaper for the cludgie? ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That would have worn the edge of the scissors. We _tore_ the newspaper into squares.

Reply to
S Viemeister

You don't know how lucky you are, we couldn't even afford the newspaper ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

"Tha'll go down the pit like tha brother. And when tha finds him, tell him to come on up for dinner.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

Yesterday's papers, from the friendly man at the local shop, were free-for-the-taking...

Reply to
S Viemeister

We did. And bringing in the coal from the cellar was 'men's' work. So as soon as we were old enough, my brother or me.

And having to get coal in from outside on a frezing day when you've been sitting by the fire makes you learn to do such things in time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Nick Leverton scribeth thus

Joking apart this site makes for interesting and rather sobering reading as to what life was like for those who had to go down 't pit back in the good olde days of yore..

Not a lot of fun for the young ones it seems;!....

tony sayer

after the Husker pit disaster.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

We used to collect them up and sell the ones we didn't use to the local recycling place, about 1/2d a pound IIRC

Reply to
dennis